Abide My Woe (Part 2)

Chop, chop, chop

Lotus carefully minced thin apple slices before lining them up in the strip of dough and rolling them up. He set it into the oven and stepped back as they began to bake. Now that they were on their way, he turned to the counter and smoothed his hand over it, smearing his blood along the surface as it mixed with the flour that rested atop of it. He stopped as he reached the end and picked up his hand, taking the knife he had just been cutting apples with, and began to dig into his palm. Three hours ago. Three hours ago he'd kicked Rurik out and it was more painful than he could ever imagine.

It was unfair too. Why did such a prick have a tight hold on him when he did next to nothing to earn it? Is that what happened with fifteen years of marriage, or was he just weak. Perhaps both, Lotus reasoned, as the crimson liquid spilled down his arm and began to soak the rolled sleeve of his cloak. Indeed, he was pathetic: What monster willingly cut themselves and lowered their HP in such a violence driven world? The same one who took abuse for too many years he supposed. The monster who finally snapped and had enough.

Lotus clenched his hand and hissed as the injury stung, not knowing quite what else he'd been expecting, he slumped down and took a seat near the warming oven. What had even provoked it? Rurik was being his normal cocky, commanding self, and he was just doing his best subservient work. But somehow, it still turned into a shrieking match. Choice words were thrown between both parties, but when the other struck Lotus across the face, the descendent of death finally had it. He screamed at Rurik to get out of the house before being silent for the next hour after he had. Now, his tears had long dried against his face, and the only liquid that ran was his blood. The smell of the apple fritters went nicely with that of the metallic one.

He pulled his hood over his eyes and hugged his knees to his chest. Baking wasn't as helpful as it normally was. Maybe it was because he knew for a fact that tonight he wouldn't be sleeping next to his husband. Of course, there was always a chance of that occurring on any other night, but there was also the opportunity for him to be pleasantly surprised. The same went for the baking. Now there was no chance for his sweet treats to be a means to calm the other's raging temper. What was the point? Lotus got up and turned off the stove, turning and heading for the bedroom. He'd shower and go to bed. He couldn't stay up any more. Or else he'd keep thinking about it, and what good would that do?