Breakdowns (Twelve Days of Fell!Pothmas) (Day 6)

(So it came to my attention that after posting this, it didn't really 'post'. I apologize for that, so here is my second attempt. The next part will be out a little later today, sorry again.)

{On the sixth day of Pothmas the pairing gave to me, six burning breakdowns,
Five fierce fires!
Four great movies,
Three small wounds,
Two hands a'holdin,
And an apron tied astutely~}

   "Tomato.. tomato.." Lotus mumbled to himself as he scanned the sauces, looking for the specific kind he used. Finding the darker packaged one, 'Chester Turner's Tomato Sauce', he set it into his basket and moved down the isle. 'Red as blood' he recalled how the slogan had gone, 'Or your money is gone regardless'.

   He chuckled faintly to himself and walked to the noodle packaging. Sifting through his options, he felt someone walk up behind him. Lotus figured someone else needed to get to the pasta. So he seized up what he got and walked off, not making eye contact with the approached because he didn't feel the need to start a petty fight. Lotus's carelessness left him susceptible to following eyes and equally approaching footsteps.

   Sauntering down the different isles, Lotus gathered all that he needed for the night's meal. Following work, he was in the mood for something with a little bit extra zest, so he altered the spices that he normally used. All the while, an extra shadow went unnoticed by him. Walking towards the back of the store, he went to grab the milk carton when the presence was felt once more behind him. The soul energy the man gave off was the same one as before and Lotus doubted they just happened to be making the same dinner.

   Advise of what to do in this situation came flooding back to him, his soul began to pound in his chest. There were the earliest words from his parents of not to take any other monsters's shit. That was good when you weren't terribly small and had a fighting chance. Then there were Rurik's words. Vows to always protect him where he could, and on the off chance he wasn't there, to just fight or flee.

   He couldn't think straight though, especially as the monster stepped closer to him. Unstable magic pounded in Lotus's skull, dazing his vision as he tried to decide what to do next. Those were truly the only two choices he was left with, but his feet stayed frozen to the ground as his breathing grew more ragged. He strained his eye and tried to focus on thinking clearly, precipitation beading around his skull. Lotus sat his basket down on the floor and retreated as quickly as he could to where there were more monsters. He felt his cloak be snagged on his stalker's hand, so he ripped it away and nearly screamed as he fled to the more populated isles.

   Stopping in the cereal area, he stopped and leaned against the shelves, looking in the direction he'd come from as his chest rose and fell without rhythm. Lotus got confused and indifferent looks alike, only moving when a kid snapped at him that he was in the way of his favorite sugary meal.

   With no sign of his follower, Lotus debated whether or not he go back for his basket. But the idea of even attempting to go back there frightened him to no end. So he cut his losses and focused on all the ingredients near active monsters. It seemed they'd be having a shepherds pie that night. Standing it line, Lotus took out his phone and did what he should have earlier. Clicking on Rurik's contact, it began to ring, but the other didn't pick up. He was a bit distraught but decided it was alright, Lotus had handled the problem well enough on his own. He'd just tell Rurik in the safety of their own home.

   After paying, he stepped outside and teleported back home. It was cold when he returned. The walls around him were all faded and damp. Steam rose from a vent near his feet where water trickled out and formed a discolored puddle near its base. Lotus frowned in confusion and looked up at the tall brick walls. This wasn't home. The snapping and the closing of a box alerted him of another soul with him.

   Lotus turned and watched the suited man slip the box into his bag. "When 'e gave it ta me, I didn' eva' think it'd actually work. Guess I was wrong 'den, it worked like a charm," the tall monster chuckled, the cloaked skeleton shrinking under the sound of his deep pitch. "I'm guessin' this'll do the trick too 'den," he raised up a gun. Lotus had just enough time to glance over the silver pistol and spot an all too familiar emblem, two scythes crossed over one another, both dripping with blood. Then all manner of thought left him as the bang pierced through him and he fell to his knees. He crumpled forward and he clutched his chest. A gunshot didn't go all to recognized in a universe filled with daily murder.

   Rurik entered their house with a small box in hand. His visit with Ink had gone better then expected. With Lotus's gift finished, he set it beneath the tree quietly and went to go greet his partner. Walking into the kitchen with plans to startle him, he was surprised to find that the smaller wasn't there cooking. He cocked one of his nonexistent eyebrows and took out his phone. Seeing the kissed call from Lotus, he assumed that the other had a late day at work and was behind as a result. Nonetheless, he called back, just to establish that he indeed got the message and it was okay. Well, partially okay, Rurik was annoyed because he was hungry, but that wasn't in Lotus's control.

   Zzzt, zzzt.

   Zzzt, zzzt.

   Zzzt, zzzt.

   Three kids huddled around the phone. The one with a partially glitching left eye, face shrouded by an oversized red hood, reached out and clicked the answer option. They all stared at the contact image, trying to decide what they thought of this man. He looked very good, was the conclusion that the skeleton with a bow too big for their head reached.

   "Hey Cupcake, I got your message. I was in the middle of something though. Work ran late, right?"

   Silence was Rurik's only answer. He wondered if he had upset the other by not answering before. He doubted it, but didn't rule it out. Or maybe Lotus was worried he'd be cross with him. That was more probable.

   "Cupcake? I'm not that pissed, come on now," he chuckled, attempting to lighten his spirits.

   But nobody spoke. Now he began to wonder, his boyfriend wouldn't be quiet for that long after being addressed directly. Especially if Rurik had been angry.

   "Lotus?"