Chapter ︳20

Kairos

(Greek/n.) the right, critical, or opportune moment.

) the right, critical, or opportune moment

~ Ying Yue Jiang ~

The rain pattered against the glass like stones, the distant rumbles of thunder carried throughout the kingdom; not a single voice could be heard. It was the first time the kingdom felt so - dead.

I groaned silently to myself, my body curled, and my eyes struggling to open. No mirror was needed to know how puffy my face was as I snuggled into the blanket; the teddy bear squished against my chest. Despite the brisk air against my face, my body was warm, the closest feeling of comfort I've felt since last night. The silky fabric of my dress grazed my legs as I stretched – I sighed. Kima and Lia tucked me in. I didn't even change out of my clothing. Gosh. I probably look like a mess...

But despite being tucked into accustomed blankets and the warmth that enveloped my body, a sense unfamiliarity still lurked in the air. I frowned and let my face drop against the pillow - I didn't need to look over my shoulder to know Zuko wasn't in bed with me. Another painful jab and I found myself breathing deeply. It was ironic – here I was, in a kingdom filled with hundreds of people, my friends and family, but I never felt as alone as I did now.

I need to get up, take a bath, and try to look somewhat alive.

I tossed the covers to the side, only then noticing there were extra blankets on top – but I dismissed it; I must have been shivering so much that Kima and Lia felt the need to heat them. My dress was wrinkled, and as I stood upwards, my legs tingled. I left in such a rush; I didn't get a chance to eat dinner, my stomach rumbling embarrassingly loud. But I couldn't stop my eyes from wandering to the neatly made side of the bed – Zuko's side.

It was empty, no sign that he came to bed last night, he hates me. He has to hate me. My fists tightened just thinking about it – Kayto knew what he was saying. He knew exactly what buttons to push, what would trigger Zuko, and damnit. If only I had known who he was – how was I supposed to know that Kayto was 'the asshole'? Why did Kayto hate Zuko so much, and vice verse? I huffed just thinking about it - Zuko saw everything, even the way Kayto touched my cheek.

With a jolt, I peeled my eyes away from Zuko's side of the bed. Shit. I forgot – Aang. That poor soul must be so confused – worried about what happened last night after I left like that.

I briskly grabbed my robe from the end of the bed as I strode across the room to the bathroom. The white marble floor was cold underneath my feet, and I scowled. I always loved it when Zuko woke up and used the bathroom before me; he unknowingly warmed up the marble floors with the heat he poured out. But evidently, it's either been hours since he woke up and left or...or he just never came back to the bedroom to start with...gosh don't make that true.