Chapter ︳32

"Verklempt"

(Yiddish/adj.) Overcome with emotion.

) Overcome with emotion

~ Ying Yue Jiang ~

"You know...you have beautiful eyes, Princess."

"Awe, thanks, Sokka."

"Too bad your face is ugly."

"I swear-"

The immature hoots that erupted from Sokka were loud and clear. His belly rumbled in amusement, entertained at my exasperated expression as I rested over his stomach.

We were lounging in Zuko's and I bedroom, munching on cookies on our bed, despite it being early in the morning. Zuko already rose and went for a morning jog – and I would be lying if I said I didn't use the excuse of me being under the weather to avoid that run.

It was as Zuko was leaving that Sokka busted through the grand doors, still in his polar bear pyjamas, with a plate of cookies in hand – "I wanted to check up on Princess, see how she's feeling."

And that leads us to where we were now.

I grumbled under my breath, stuffing another fresh-baked chocolate-chip cookie into my mouth as Sokka beamed down at me. Despite the pointless banter and teasing, Sokka and I were venting to each other; I was beyond happy. I never realized how much I missed spending time with him – he was my partner in crime, the person who helped me learn to laugh again.

And while Sokka has been by my side from the beginning – we never got a chance to hang out as much as I would've wanted. Appreciate the presence of each other, even though 'sibling time' means tons of teasing and humiliation.

A hand rested behind his head as he leaned against the bedframe, stuffing another cookie in his mouth. His hair has grown so much already.

Usually, it was up in a messy top knot, but today, he let his hair down. Zuko still had the lengthiest hair out of the guys, but Sokka was starting to prove himself to be a worthy competitor. I was always jealous of how attractive Katara's and Sokka's brown hair was. There were natural blond highlights, and it complimented their baby blue eyes.

"Hey...did Aang bring Momo?" I pondered out loud; brows pinched as I tried to recall the last time I saw that mischievous creature. He was already so infuriatingly elusive, but now that we were in the Kingdom, it was like he vanished.

"Yeah, but you know how Momo is..." Sokka mumbled under his breath, more focused on chewing the cookie stuffed in his mouth than answering my question.

"I haven't seen him once!" I exclaimed, and Sokka snorted, "Join the club. I asked Aang the other day, told me Momo is hiding out in the kitchen." I couldn't help but roll my eyes hearing that – of course, Momo is there. Appa would've joined Momo if he were here and could fit.