Chapter ︳27

Appetence

(French/n.) a longing or desire; a natural tendency or affinity.

) a longing or desire; a natural tendency or affinity

~ Ying Yue Jiang ~

My hands were trembling, so much so, one would have thought a damn earthquake was happening. A small huff left my lips, frantically seizing whatever laid on the vanity and dresser; and throwing it in the suitcases. Whatever my eyes fell upon fell into the bags – and quite chaotically might I add.

Zuko's stern voice resonated in the unfinished house, speaking with the guards outside in the kitchen. Even with the door closed, I could make out a few words, their soft mutters as they discussed amongst each other. His voice was different, no hint of compassion or warmth – taciturn.

And I found myself stopping, just remembering the look on Zuko's face when he took in what I said. It was Mai – she was snitch, and I knew it killed him to hear that. She was a childhood friend, and for someone that close to turn against you...I could only imagine how hurt he must be. My eyes lined up with the floor, looking at the mess I left.

Photos scattered of Azula, Zuko, Mai and Ty Lee. They were children, innocent. Smiling away with not the slightest idea of how things would have turned out in the future. That now, they were at war with each other. I sighed. The pain, of fighting with your flesh and blood...

I let the remainder of things drop from my hands, picking up the scattered photos. I should probably put these away before Zuko sees these...another droned out sigh fleed my lips as my fingers drew along the images. I was a fool – how did I not clue in that the maid wasn't a maid but Zuko's sister? But how was I supposed to know that his sister was crazy...?

Crawling on my hands and knees, I picked up the rest of the photos, tossing them to the bottom of the box. A few stuffed animals laid at the top of the box, I wanted to wash them, place them in the children room. A plan for a later day...

The door creaked - opening slowly. It caught me off guard, rushing to get back on my feet, brushing my curtain of hair behind my shoulders. Zuko stepped inside, the door sliding shut as he studied my frazzled posture and suitcases, "What are you doing?"

"I-I was packing to head back home..." I whispered, anxious. The way his face seemed pale, eyes dim as he huffed, "Don't bother."

"What?"

But he didn't speak.

With shaky steps, Zuko walked over to the side of the bed, sitting down with shoulders slumped. The bed dipped, a drained sigh escaping him and I hesitantly stepped forward, eager to ask more.

But as I inched my way towards him, he weakly patted the plush sheets of the bed.

"Come." He muttered under his breath, and my brows pinched together. I strolled over, ready to take a seat next to him, but as I made a move, Zuko shook his head, "Sit in the middle of the bed."