Chapter ︳25

Cicatrize

(English/v.) the process of healing by forming scars.

) the process of healing by forming scars

~ Ying Yue Jiang ~

I hummed, my head resting upon Zuko's lap as his fingers combed through my hair. The scarlet coloured curtains from the palanquin kept the sweltering sun at bay, a cool breeze from the shore finding it's way inside our little tent.

My eyes rested as we swayed side to side, the sounds of people and some 'abrasive' noises catching my attention. I wonder what that was...

"Are we almost there...?" I sighed, snuggling into a tighter ball and embracing Zuko's leg like a teddy bear. His body rumbled, a deep chuckle from Zuko as he tapped my forehead, "Yeah, we're here love." I smiled, opening my eyes to sit up.

Ember Island.

The moment the Earth King sailed back to the Earth Nation, I said my goodbyes to Aang and Sokka as well, since they completed what they sought after in the Fire Nation. And although I was a bit blue to say my goodbyes till who knows when, my attention shifted to anticipation, since Zuko and I were officially on vacation.

I was surprised at how soon we arrived at Ember Island, expecting the journey to take quite a bit of time. But after a quick sail, and a little nap - the next thing I knew we're already here before dinner.

"I can't wait to see the house, Kiyi told me a bunch." I giggled, brushing my hair back as I fanned myself. Even with the seaside breeze, it was starting to get stuffy in here.

Zuko grinned, "I think you're in for a surprise."

Surprise?

Before we left, Kiyi ranted about the vacation house near the beach. I learned that once Zuko reunited with his mother, he built a small family home, a place where they could stay when they went on vacation during the summer. But the way Zuko beamed mischievously, made me hold my thoughts, "What do you mean? You told me there were no catches!" I pouted, pointing at him.

"It's a good surprise, you'll like it." Zuko laughed, gripping my finger and placing a cheeky kiss on the tip.

The movement of our transportation stopped, and my ears perked up, "Fire Lord Zuko, Imperial Consort Ying Yue, we have arrived."

We're here!

I sat up, excitement coursing through my veins. This was it. I get to relax in the sun, swim at the beach, feel sand for the first time in years! I spun in my seat, reaching backwards to draw back the curtains - eager to step out and scope out the area.