Chapter ︳28 pt. 1

Sciamachy

(Hindi/n.) a battle against imaginary enemies; fighting your own shadow.

AN: This chapter is broken into two parts - the next part will be posted asap.

~ Ying Yue Jiang ~

~ Ying Yue Jiang ~

I stood there, arms wrapped around my torso, humming softly as I looked out the window. The crystal waters, waves brushing the shorelines and taking bits of white sand and seashells along with it. A few birds singing as the sun rose.

Nature – it really was a beautiful thing.

A soft wince escaped me, realizing that I was so far into my thoughts, my fingers dug into my skin, causing faint marks to rise. I grimaced, brushing my hair behind my ears before grabbing the cup of hot tea that rested on the kitchen counter.

Usually, the sound and smell of water had my nerves at ease. My heart relaxing, breathing steady. But today, it did the opposite.

Training.

A shaky sigh escaped my lips, teething digging into my bottom as thoughts swarmed my brain. Part of me was thrilled to be practicing once again. But of course, just when I thought I got everything under control – my mind decided to play tricks.

Three years I denied myself.

Three years I mourned and refused to accept a part of me. A piece that I use to love dearly. And I felt guilty. I let horrible, unforeseen circumstances destroy a part of my identity, and the only link I had left with my mom – Waterbending.

Training – it was a word that meant more than just refining my skills. It would be the final steps of me moving on. Accepting the death of my family, recognizing that my role as Imperial Consort is more than just a title. I was moving into a new stage in my life, and while it was exhilarating, it was also petrifying.

I need to do this. Because the past is the past, and now-

A warm touch caused me to gasp, arms wrapping around my waist. The addictive scent of firewood and musk overwhelming my senses as my eyes fluttered shut. My body eased naturally, already knowing this warm touch far too well.

Because the past is the past and now I have Zuko.

His hands wrapped around my own, cupping my tea as his lips brushed against my ear. I could feel Zuko's heartbeat against my back, a comforting rhythm that had me smiling. I didn't need water to relax, I just needed Zuko. How things have changed.

"Don't worry love...I got you." Zuko muttered, voice coarse from just waking up. He knew. I let a soft sigh escape me, his fingers intertwining with my own as his head moved from my neck to my shoulder.