Unhappy

Scott:
Mitch got out of hospital today so I've been hanging out with him all day. His mom is the sweetest person I've ever met, she instantly welcomed me into the house and made me eat so much food I felt a little bit sick.
"Too skinny for a man your age" she said and pushed me into a chair. She makes the best meatloaf I've ever tasted. I recognise her but can't tell where I've seen her before, I think she recognises me as well because she had a little glint in her eye.

Mitch's house is covered in photos of him as a child with another boy, I don't know who he is but he looks a lot similar to Mitch. When Mitch was younger his one blue eye was so much brighter than it is now, so much more obvious.

I'm in his room now, it's like his own little man cave in here, black walls with black blinds, the ceiling is covered in fairy lights and his bed is sparkly and golden.
"You don't remember me do you Scott?" Mitch's sweet voice breaks my concentration. What does he mean? Mitch must notice my confusion because he adds a next sentence. "I was the scarecrow and you where the tin man in wizard of oz... you don't remember." Mitch's face goes from happiness to sadness, I feel bad but I don't remember ever being in the wizard of oz. "we where best friends Scotty but then you moved away and we never saw each other again."

"I wasn't in the wizard of oz Mitch, I'm not a theatre kid. You must be confused," I feel really bad saying this because Mitch seems so happy. Mitch looks down at his hands and gets off the bed, pulls out a black shoe box and places it on my lap. "What's this Mitch?" He carefully pulls the lid off and pulls out a photo book before giving it to me. Mitch doesn't say anything so I just open the book and flip through the photos. They're all of me and him when I was about four. It's filled with photos of me smiling on stage with a young boy with one blue eye and pictures of me smiling even though I have a black eye. On the very last page is a little torn out piece of paper with a child's writing on it.

Deer Mitch!
Mommy and me ar leeving tomorow and we ar mooving farfar away becuz daddy was meen to mommy and me.
I luv you lots and lots and lots mitchie and I'm gonna find you a gain wun day!
I luv you Michele!
Lots and lots and lots of luv and huggies and kisses!
Scottie! Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The note brings me back to the day I wrote it, memories start coming back that where lost years ago after months in hospital close to death.

"Michele... Mitchie and Scottie," the words come out in a whisper, my throat slightly hoarse.

"Super Scott and Marvellous Mitch" Mitch adds, smiling slightly. "I looked for you everyday until I was twelve, then I gave up because I thought I'd never find you again. But then when you found me in the toilets I instantly knew it was you Scott."

"I don't remember anything Mitch. I ended up in hospital really really ill because of something my dad did and loads of memories are blurry or gone" I tell him, my voice cracking slightly. Mitch's smile fades slightly and he looks away, I feel bad for not remembering.

"That's okay Scott, we can work on it and then maybe you'll remember things," Mitch has so much hope in his voice that it hurts.

"I don't think that's how it works Mitch, I haven't remembered anything for years. I'm sorry" I say softly, I feel so bad.

"We have to try Scott! We don't have long Scott, we have to at least try" it's Mitch's  voice that is cracking now and tears brim his eyes. I don't know what he means by we don't have long but surely he's just being dramatic right?

"Mitch what do you mean we don't have long? Mitch what's going on?" My voice comes out harsh and frantic.

"Scott I have SCLC . They diagnosed it in hospital." SCLC? What even is that? It sounds like some kind of foreign language. Mitch must notice my blank stare because he carries on with a calm and soft tone. "It's cancer Scott, lung cancer," there's tears almost falling from his eyes and his lip is trembling. Cancer, he can't have cancer. He's so healthy! Without thinking, I run my hands through my hair and leave the room, Mitch stares after me. I just need a minuet.