CHAPTER 10 The Confrontation

~Japeth's POV~

Japeth raced after the retreating figure, leaving Aric behind as he tried to catch up with his brother storming away.

Japeth had no doubt in his mind that Rhian was angered after catching Japeth and Aric alone like that. But it wasn't what Rhian thought.

Aric had only led Japeth outside in the middle of the night to talk because him and Aric wanted some peace away from Rhian. Had Rhian followed them to see what they were up to, or was it just coincidence that he stumbled upon them like he did?

"Rhian!" Japeth called, feet pounding across the lawn as he skidded to a halt at the steps leading into the school, but Rhian didn't turn as if he couldn't hear Japeth's voice.

But slowly, Rhian did halt without looking at Japeth. He was still, back turned to Japeth like he were waiting for his brother to say something else.

"We were only talking, brother," Japeth said, struggling to explain. "It was nothing."

Rhian's back was tense, shoulder blades prominent beneath his shirt and fists clenched at his sides like he were trying to control his anger.

In the moonlight casting shadows across the grass, Japeth sucked in a deep breath, awaiting Rhian's response with silent worry. He realized Rhian was acting the same way he'd acted when their mother left long ago. Rhian was never the same after Evelyn left them, but he wasn't the only one who'd changed. Japeth too had become different as well. For so long Japeth had had the same worries as Aric did, only regarding his own mother and not Lady Lesso. Why had Evelyn left? Where had Evelyn gone that'd obviously been more important than raising her two sons?

"Didn't look like nothing to me," Rhian's sharp tone tore Japeth from his thoughts, and he watched Rhian turn to see his expression was full of accusation. "What were you really doing together, and don't lie. You know I can always see past all your lies. Tell the truth."

Japeth saw the stern look in Rhian's eyes as Rhian stepped forward. Japeth felt his throat constrict as if somebody had wrapped a cold hand around his throat to squeeze the breath from his lungs. He suddenly couldn't form a proper response to Rhian's demand as if even he was uncertain of what him and Aric had exactly been doing when Rhian saw them.

Japeth replayed the moment Aric grabbed his hand in a grip that felt so heartfelt and warm before Japeth leant towards him with ready lips as if he were about to kiss Aric...until Japeth  caught sight of Rhian watching them and pulled away in surprise. But had Japeth misread the signs? Did Aric feel the same attraction, the same bond Japeth felt towards him as if each boy's heart was trying to pull towards each other—

No. That was ridiculous. They were friends and nothing more. Rhian had just seen them at the wrong moment, that's all.

"I told you," Japeth snapped defensively, crossing his arms. "It was nothing. Just...friendly conversation between friends."

He tried not to look guilty although he'd done no wrong. Rhian should've known not to invade his brother's personal life, but of course he just had to see Aric as a problem, a negative force in Japeth's life. Yet in reality, the only negative thing in Japeth's life right now was Rhian's persistent attitude. Rhian was wrong to judge him and Aric's friendship.

"Whatever that was, it definitely isn't friendship. From now on, you should stay away from Aric," Rhian retorted, throwing a hand in the air angrily. His eyes blazed hotter than Japeth had ever seen them. "He's a bad influence on you, brother. You're just too blind to see it."

Japeth felt his scims slithering across his skin as anger and hurt arose within him, threatening to engulf him in a wave. His blue eyes flashed in emotion at Rhian's words, gaze a mixture of hate, sorrow, and love.