CHAPTER 16 Betrayal

~JAPETH'S POV~

A bird's cry filled the silence. Perhaps it was a cry of warning or a cry of hopelessness, but Japeth knew he didn't feel any hope in his darkened heart at all as he stared at Dean Burnhilde's beehive of frizzy hair.

"Today, gentleman, we are gathered in celebration of this fine day," Dean Burnhilde spoke, her voice as gooey as ever as she beamed at the boys standing upon the steps. "Kei, Rhian, Japeth, and Mika of Foxwood have all shown their amazing talents in mannerisms and have proved to be true gentlemen. Because of this, it is Miss Miyflower and I's deepest decision to properly congratulate these three outstanding students this fine, fine day."

Japeth stood on the stairs, Rhian beside him. With Rhian's head injury long since healed, only a scar was left behind to remind both boys of that traumatic time. Kei stood stiffly near them too, along with Mika.

After almost six years of Rhian and Japeth attending Arbed, the Dean had finally decided to let them go. They were finally graduating.

Japeth should've felt happy that he was finally getting to leave Arbed behind, but all he felt was a strange tightening in his chest. A while ago, Japeth had belonged here, really belonged here. But that was when Aric had still been here with him.

Aric had made Arbed feel special. He'd made Japeth look forward to going to his classes and enduring Burnhilde's pointless lectures. Since Aric was gone, Arbed hadn't been the same without him. Japeth hadn't been the same.

In a way, all Japeth had left of Aric was Arbed House and the many memories they'd shared together. Things had changed, and it didn't feel like a pleasant change. Not pleasant at all.

"RJ, Rhian, Kei, and Mika," Dean Burnhilde's voice shattered Japeth's thoughts. "I wish you all the best of luck going forward." She stepped towards Kei first and took his hand in hers in a reassuring grasp. "Ah, and Kei?" She said, giving Kei a knowing wink. "You're gonna do wonderful in the Ever Guard Trials. I'm sure of it. You've got great promise, young man."

Japeth turned his head towards Rhian to find Rhian's face expressing deep confusion before he seemed to process the Dean's words and his face paled in shock. Japeth couldn't resist the sliver of satisfaction that squirmed in his gut at the sight of Rhian's crestfallen demeanor.

Kei had enrolled in the Ever Guard Trials months ago and had been keeping that from Rhian for ages now. The truth had to have come out eventually and now...Now Rhian felt betrayed. 

"Good luck Rhian," The Dean said stepping over to shake Rhian's hand too before she moved on to Japeth. But the withering glare Japeth sent Burnhilde was enough to make her skip over him, only giving him a cheery smile and a nod. "You'll be missed RJ," was all she told him.

"I doubt it..." Japeth huffed under his breath, looking over at the other students of Arbed still yet to graduate. Seeing the bitter look on his face, the boys—Jach, Hemwa, and Asmodeus—quickly avoided his gaze.

"As much as we're all sad to let you guys go," Dean Burnhilde sniffled, clutching Miss Miyflower's hand for strength as tears brimmed in both their eyes, "we know it's for the best. You are all young adults and you all must go out in the world with your heads held high..."

Burnhilde continued on with her speech, but Japeth tuned her out and picked at his nails in disinterest. It was only when Mika rushed to say goodbye to his friend, Hemwa, and Japeth heard his brother's distressed voice that he finally snapped his attention up.

Rhian had tore off the steps in pursuit of Kei who just stood on the grass with a cold expression on his stony face. Rhian's hand shot out to grab Kei's arm, squeezing it like his life depended on it.