CHAPTER 11 The Banishment

A/N—Drew this pic of Japeth (left) and Aric (right). Does anyone else think Aric kinda looks like an old man?? ;)

 Does anyone else think Aric kinda looks like an old man?? ;)

"You are the best and worst of me...Always."
———————

ARIC'S POV—

The sky was gray, and clouds had begun to billow overhead; a stark comparison of last night's weather which had been dark yet alight with stars. Last night had been peaceful. It was the sort of peace Aric had never thought he would ever have in his screwed up life.

That was until Rhian had stuck his business where it didn't belong. Rhian had hated Aric ever since Aric and Japeth had become friends. Rhian had seen Japeth and Aric on the rooftop of the school and had become angry—angry enough for Japeth to run after him.

Aric had gone down from the roof to eavesdrop on their conversation, only to hear Rhian blatantly call him names, to say that him and Japeth's friendship was nothing more but a lie.

But it wasn't Rhian's words that had made Aric sheath his dagger, to attack him so cruelly. No. The thing that made him really mad was seeing the crestfallen look on Japeth's face. It was the look of a broken boy who'd been rejected too many times by his brother for some misunderstood friendship when all the boy wanted was his brother's love, his understanding.

Japeth loved Rhian, he was his family after all. But Japeth cared for Aric too, and it was this strange cycle of love and hate that made the twins feud.

But seeing Japeth's face—his mouth curled downwards and those blue skies glistening with emotion like a storm was about to come brewing—Aric couldn't keep his anger at bay.

Aric had to attack Rhian. He'd had to defend Japeth, his only friend, against a brother who only saw him as a damaged person who had to be fixed. He had to to protect Japeth, to show Rhian that he'd had enough of his judgmental views.

But Aric should've known that every action had a consequence. Now, Aric had to face those consequences.

Rhian had been tended to in the School's infirmary while Aric had been forced to haul up in the dining room with two Foxwoods guards posted at the door so he wouldn't escape.

Aric hoped to see Japeth again, but his friend never returned to see him. Aric recalled Dean Burnhilde's words. She'd said he could no longer be a student in Arbed.

Months ago, Aric would've rejoiced at the epiphany that he'd be leaving Arbed House. But those months ago, when he'd first arrived to Arbed, he hadn't befriended Japeth yet.

Leaving Arbed House meant leaving his friend behind. A friend Aric had never thought he'd find. The cruelty of it all was weighing down upon Aric's heart like a thorn piercing into it.