CHAPTER 14 Monster

~JAPETH'S POV~

Japeth was forced to do extra clean up work per Dean Burnhilde's insistence after the Dean had found out it was he who had torn up her beloved flowerbeds.

About two to three days passed since Japeth had laid carnage upon Burnhilde's garden. Since it was almost winter, Burnhilde's Gardner couldn't plant any new seeds that would grow and flourish until Spring came around. Needless to say, Burnhilde was furious.

That's how Japeth found himself having to clean the dishes from Suppertime and being forced to clean the dining hall.

When Miss Miyflower had inspected his work from top to bottom, she'd give him permission to go outside and play with the other boys during lunch break. But going outside was a horrible boring thing to do now, especially with his only friend gone and the other boys avoiding him like the plague.

Rhian was still recovering in the infirmary so Japeth barely saw him, but sometimes Rhian would emerge outside with Kei to do exercise since the nurse had insisted he do so to speed up his recovery. Every time Japeth would see Rhian, he'd remember Aric and remembering Aric meant remembering that his friend was no longer there. Whenever Rhian would emerge from the infirmary, he seemed less weak than the day before, but seeing the bandages wrapped around his brother's head was too much for Japeth.

One day, Japeth was lingering on the steps in front of Arbed, watching the other boys roughhouse when he caught sight of Rhian being led out of the infirmary by Kei. He saw Rhian and Kei walking down the path across the lawn, and noticed them talking.

It was when Rhian's head turned to look at Japeth did Japeth meet his brother's gaze. It was like everything else seemed to fade into the background as Rhian and Japeth's gazes locked. They were yards apart, but Japeth could still see Rhian's expression. It was a look of brotherly sternness that Japeth had seen on Rhian many times before.

Usually, Japeth would be annoyed or frustrated by that particular look upon Rhian's face, but for some reason he only felt unnerved. It was like Rhian had spoken a hundred words to him through that single expression, and yet again Japeth refused to listen.

Than, Rhian's head turned back and he kept on walking with Kei at his side. Japeth swallowed the lump in his throat as they walked on until they went out of his view beyond a cluster of trees.

Japeth couldn't place why he'd felt so unnerved by Rhian's expression. Than, he remembered Aric looking that same way a few times before. Rhian's look was just yet another unwanted reminder of Japeth's absent friend.

Staring down the walkway, something urged Japeth to drive forward. He leapt to his feet and started off, going the opposite direction in which Kei and Rhian had gone. He made his way around the building where the ruined garden was and found himself at the back of the school where the wall was just as broken as he remembered it last.

Japeth took a shaky breath as he placed his hands on the wall, gripping onto the out jutting bricks to pull himself upwards. He climbed the wall slower than the last time he'd had when Aric had been with him. It was like the ever persistent memory of Aric wasn't just weighing down his heart and mind, but his very body as well.

Still, Japeth somehow managed to find his way to the top of the roof. The pale sunlight glinted off the tiles, and Japeth's throat became strangled with emotion as memories flooded back to him.

He missed the way Aric and him had sat so close together on this very roof, taking in the beauty of the night as they poured out their hearts to each other. That moment seemed so far away now, Japeth couldn't grasp onto it and hold it close to his broken heart.