CHAPTER 5 Deserving

—ARIC'S POV—

Aric peeled his eyes open to bright sunshine shining in through a dirtied window above him. He was lying curled up on the cold floor, a strange weight pressed up against him. It was only when Aric turned his head did he see that Japeth was curled up beside him like a sleeping kitten, Scims wrapped around the length of his entire body like a protective blanket.

Japeth's face was smooth and relaxed, lips slightly parted as breath escaped from between his teeth and his copper hair was messy as if he'd run his hand through it multiple times. Aric suppressed the urge to reach out and touch the sleeping boy's face. Seeing Japeth in that moment, Aric never thought his friend looked so peaceful than right than and there.

Aric recalled him and Japeth's conversation last night before they'd drifted to sleep beside each other, and Aric was glad to admit that he'd luckily had no nightmares. But part of Aric wanted to strangle himself if he could.

The words Aric had spoken to Japeth last night were fresh in Aric's memory, bringing with it a tinge of guilt that wormed in his gut. Ever since his mother left him, Aric had put a tough facade on. He'd pretended to act all composed and strong to show others that he wasn't some weak little boy. But last night, for the first time ever, Aric had shown his vulnerabilities, the soft side of him that Japeth had coaxed out.

But if there was one thing Aric hated more than anything, it was showing his emotions. Emotions were weakness and childish, yet Aric wasn't that angry for some reason. He may feel the urge to smack himself, but to be really angry...He just wasn't. Why?

Was it because Japeth truly had grown on him and now they were the kind of friends who'd share everything with one another, every secret and inner emotions as if their relationship was based on trust? But they'd only known each other a day and a half, so they couldn't be that far deep into this friendship thing.

Aric watched Japeth's head twitch in his sleep before the boy rolled over onto his back, eyes slowly fluttering open to reveal his beautiful, sleepy blue gaze. For a moment, Japeth's gaze was blurry and unfocused before it landed upon Aric watching over him. A small smile spread across his face that made Aric's usual smirk arise.

"Mornin' you sleepyhead," Aric greeted, punching Japeth's shoulder.

Japeth playfully slapped Aric's hand away and arose in a sitting position, looking around the room with a yawn. It seemed to be late morning or perhaps early afternoon based on the brightness of the sunlight.

Arbed House would've already started its classes by now, but Aric wasn't so eager to go back to that terrible school right now. He didn't care if the dumb dean punished him and Japeth for being late. All Aric wanted right now in this moment was to have Japeth by his side for just a little bit longer.

"Hey!" A sudden voice made Aric jump. There was a thunk sound of something hitting against the window, and him and Japeth's heads swiveled to see the person.

Aric expected for it to be that old man again, probably delusional despite being stabbed in the leg and thinking this was still his house, but instead it was someone entirely different. Through the window, Aric could now see a face pressed against the glass, blue green hazel eyes a whirling storm of anger, hair short and coarse, and lips pressed in a thin line of obvious distaste.

"Rhian?" Japeth asked, bewildered as to why his twin brother was here now.

Of all places Rhian had to show up. And of all people who could've stumbled upon Aric and Japeth together...it had to be him.

Rhian must've been lucky to run into his brother and his brother's friend or there was also the possibility that Rhian had caught Japeth sneaking out and followed him last night, only to show up this morning. Had Rhian been spying on them last night?