ten

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

"Come in, this is Captain Rogers! Do you read me?" His voice came through the speakers of the room.

"Steve, is that you? Are you alright?" Diana rushed over to the microphone, not caring that she wasn't done being patched up.

"Diana, Schmidt's dead." He stated.

"What about the plane?"

"That's a little bit tougher to explain." He sighed.

"Give me your coordinates, I'll find you a safe landing site." Diana rushed, ready to help him.

"There's not going to be a safe landing. But I can try and force it down." Steve said, causing Diana to widen her eyes at the thought. She felt the heat get into her face as she realized what might happen.

"No, no. I'll... I'll get Howard on the line. He'll know what to do." Diana shook her head.

"There's not enough time. This thing is moving too fast and it's heading for New York."

"I gotta put her in the water."

"Pl-please, don't do this. We have time. We can work it out. We'll find a way, Steve." Diana replied, helplessly. Steve could hear the pain behind her voice.

"Right now, I'm in the middle of no where. If I wait any longer, a lot of people are going to die." Steve argued. He felt a pain in his chest as he knew that this would be his last moment. "Diana, this is my choice."

Diana closed her eyes, fighting back the tears that were coming. She finally accepted what he was trying to say.

Steve placed the compass in front of him, looking at it. He didn't picture this to be their last moment together.

"Diana..."

"I'm here, Steve."

"I was planning to take you out, but I think we're going to have to rain check on that dance, okay?"

"Yeah, that's okay. A week, next Saturday, at the Stork Club." Diana spoke quietly as the tears ran down her cheek.

"You got it."

"Eight o'clock on the dot. Don't you dare be late."

"You know, I still don't know how to dance." Steve said hoping that would make Diana smile, which it did.

"It's okay, we'll both learn. Together." Diana said.

"Listen... before I go, I love you." Steve spoke out. "I really do lo-"

Before he finished, Steve cut out. All Diana could hear was static noise.

"Steve?" Diana hoped she would hear his voice one last time, but it never came through again.

"Steve?" She called out one more time.

The pain in her chest was unbearable. She began to sob silently as she realized he wouldn't come back. Peggy rubbed her shoulder and hugged the woman.

It broke her heart, her soul. It even broke Diana more at the thought that she didn't get to say it back to him.

He was gone.

★ ★ ★

Author's Note:

I lowkey just wanna finish the whole book today. So, maybe expect another chapter later today.

May 19, 2019