Chapter 4

Isabella's POV

The next few days ended up being uneventful, even when Quinn came over to discuss our duet. She wouldn't look me in the eye and would give me one word answers. I just thought it was because she didn't know me that well. However, the day we actually had to perform was a whole different story. We were making eye contact, and she would giggle throughout it.

Finally, it was game day. I wasn't sure if my sister and Brittany were still planning on coming to my game or not, though. The last few days have been really weird with both of them. My sister actually forgot about me one morning and I had to walk to school. I ended up being late to class. I haven't even really seen her in the last 2 days. Almost all of glee said they were coming to my game. Which made me happy to have real friends for once.

I was warming up before the game and kept looking over at the bleachers hoping for San and Britt to show up. Five minutes before the first pitch, I look over and see Mercedes and Kurt, both with signs yelling trying to get my attention, Quinn, Finn, Mike, Tina, and lastly Artie. They were all taking up a whole section.

"Alright ladies, bring it in. This is the first game of the season, I want to see everyone playing their hardest and each and every one of you encouraging each other. Let's get out there and show them who owns this field. Hands in" everyone puts their hands in yelling "Titans!" As we all head to our positions.

At the beginning I was doing great, catching everything that was thrown and not making any errors if there was a ball hit to me, but every time I would look up in the bleachers and not see my sister or Brittany, I'd get discouraged and make errors, beating myself up.

As we get to the bottom of the sixth inning, we all head into the dugout and I sit down, since I was the last out in the inning before. I hear my name being called and turn around seeing Quinn, Mercedes, and Kurt. "What's wrong, boo?" Mercedes asks handing me a water bottle. "Nothing, I'm good" I take a sip of the water. "Bull crap, you were doing great the first few innings and then it was like a switch flipped. What's going on?" I look down.

"San and Britt were both supposed to be here, ya know? Our parents aren't in our lives anymore, and San is the closest thing I have to a mom. And she isn't here, I haven't seen her in two days. And the last time I did see her, she was walking out the door to leave for school, she forgot me and I had to walk to school. I don't know what to do anymore, first my parents and now San. I can live without my parents, but I can't live without her" I ramble on, not noticing I started crying.

I hear whimpering and look up to see Finn had walked up, "Damn, I never cry." He says as I giggle wiping my tears. "It'll all be good, kiddo. I'm sorry that's happening" I nod looking at the field just as they get the third out on us, "well, duty calls, I'll see you guys after the game" I say standing up grabbing my glove.

We ended up losing by one point, all because of the stupid last error that I made. We all leave the huddle and as I'm walking away I hear my coach call for me, "Lopez, Get over here!" I run over to my coach. "Look, kiddo, you did great the first few innings, but you let something get inside your head. You need to work on your mentality. I'm sorry to do this, kid, but I'm gonna need you to run some foul poles before you leave" She says patting my shoulder walking away.

I look down, walking to the edge of the field by the fence. I change out of my cleats and put on my tennis shoes instead to run. As I get done running my last foul pole, I see all of my friends waiting for me.

I go up to the locker room to change and then walk to my friends. As soon as I walk up to them they pull me into a group hug. I pull back, smiling sadly at them. Tina and Mercedes lock arms with me, pulling me to the parking lot.

As we get to the parking lot I'm pulled into Tina's car, "we're gonna drive you home. I don't want you walking this late" she says getting in and driving away. As we pull up to my house I thank Tina and tell her I'll see her tomorrow before walking inside.

As I walk through the kitchen, I look into the living room to see Britt and San watching a movie. As they hear my footsteps, they both look at me. "Where've you been?" I hear San ask as she gets off the couch. "I had my first game tonight, not like you care" I say glaring at both of them and running up to my room, slamming the door.

As I change clothes I hear a knock on the door. "Is, please let me in. I'm so sorry that I forgot about your game" I hear San say turning the knob trying to get in. I look up, "just go away San. I'm tired, and angry. I'm not in the mood" I say starting to cry as I put my headphones in and getting in bed.

The next day, I wake up early enough to walk to school so I don't have to see my sister or Brittany. I walk into the school and head straight for the choir room. I sit on the piano bench and start playing the song that's been stuck in my head. I start singing 'Need You Now' by Lady Antebellum. As the last note rings out, I hear clapping and look to the door seeing Quinn standing there. She walks and sits on the piano bench next to me. She grabs my hand, intertwining our fingers and setting her head on my shoulder.

"You have such a beautiful voice" she whispers looking up at me. I smile at her and let go of her hand playing a tune on the piano, humming. "I'm sorry about what happened last night" I look down, not playing the piano anymore, shaking my head. "Don't be, it's not your fault" I get up, grabbing my backpack. "I have to head to class" I walk to the door and turn around, "thank you for sitting with me" I pause "I'll see you later?" I ask hopefully. She nods sending me a smile. I walk down the hallway and head to my first class.

*skip 3 classes*

I walk down the hallway and into the choir room, taking a seat next to Quinn. Two minutes later I see my sister and Brittany walk in the door, walking to me. Quinn grabs my hand, "can I talk to you, Is?" San asks quietly. I nod my head standing up, walking out of the room with her behind me. We walk to a bench outside, "Is, I've been a terrible sister to you the last few days. I've neglected you, forgotten about important things and that's not okay. I'm so so sorry for being such a terrible sister. And" she shrugs looking down, letting out a breath, "I understand if you don't forgive me"

I take her hand and pull her closer to me. "San" I say looking at her, "nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, will make me so mad at you that our bond breaks. You are the most important person in my life, it's you and I against the world. I was hurt yesterday, I won't deny that. At first I didn't let it get to me, but I just kept looking up at the bleachers and when I didn't see my number one supporters,
I choked and I made us lose the game. I just wanted my sister" I say starting to cry.

She hugs me tight, starting to cry with me. "I'm so sorry, Isabella. I should never let anything, no matter what it is, get in the way of being there for you. I love you so much" She says pulling back, kissing my forehead, "I love you too, San" I say getting up and taking her hand.

"You think we can go back to being annoyingly cute sisters now?" She asks bumping my hip with hers. I nod chuckling, "of course, but you should know, I'm not the only person that was disappointed last night. Our friends are pretty mad" I say looking at her. She chuckles, "I think I can handle them."

We start walking down the hall, "so when were you going to tell me that you like Quinn?" She says smirking. I look up blushing, "I don't know what you're talking about" I say letting go of her hand and sprinting back to the choir room. I hear her running after me as I sit back beside Quinn blushing.

San walks in and looks at me, "we'll be talking more about this later" she says sitting behind me. Quinn takes my hand, intertwining our fingers as Mr. Schue starts to teach. I feel San and Britt start to play with my hair as Quinn lays her head on my shoulder and can't help but think, I'm so screwed.