Chapter 11

Isabella's POV

As I walk into the choir room, I make eye contact with my sister. After San and Britt sang Landslide, she's stopped acting like herself, she's been snapping at me and even stopped hanging out with Brittany. I go and sit in the back, by myself, as I listen to Mr. Schue talk, "Guys, I've got some bad news. You know how we decided on "Sing" by My Chemical Romance for regionals? Well, I hold in my hand a cease and desist letter from the band. We can't do it." He hold up the letter as he looks at us. We all groan. "It was the perfect anthem" I tune out I start thinking about my sister and what could be wrong. "I think we're doing original songs for regionals." I smile as I think about writing again.

The next day, as Mercedes is singing her song that she had written, I think back to the song that I'm presenting. I think it's good. I just hope it's good enough for Mr. Schue. As she gets done, Everyone cheers, "yeah, Mercedes. Really, really good." He claps. She grins "thanks you" his face turns serious "but, um-" she glares at him "but my butt, Mr. Schue. That song was amazing." She says interrupting him "No, I agree. I'm just not sure that it's regionals material" she frowns. My sister raises her hand, "Mr. Schue, I wrote another verse of 'Trouty Mouth'" Sam frowns, "No. No, no, no. Guys, just, think about it. What's your favorite songs of all time?" Mr. Schue asks. Everyone answers at the same time "and what are all those songs about? All these songs come from a place of pain. The greatest songs are about hurt. And that's the side of yourselves I want you to get in touch with" I hesitantly raise my hand "yes, Isabella?" I slowly get up "I think I might have something" I walk to the from "great! Let's see what ya got" he sits down. I pick up my guitar and look out at everyone. I look at Brittany and see her cross her eyes to make me less nervous. It makes me giggle quietly as I take a deep breath and start playing my guitar. I nod at Brad to start playing piano and start singing.

What you got if you ain't got love
The kind that you just want to give away
It's okay to open up
Go ahead and let the light shine through
I know it's hard on a rainy day
You wanna shut the world out and just be left alone
But don't run out on your faith

'Cause sometimes that mountain you've been climbing
Is just a grain of sand
And what you've been out there searching for forever
Is in your hands
And when you figure out love is all that matters after all
It sure makes everything else seem so small

It's so easy to get lost inside
A problem that seems so big at the time
It's like a river that's so wide it swallows you whole
While you're sitting around thinking about what you can't change
And worrying about all the wrong things
Time's flying by, moving so fast
You better make it count 'cause you can't get it back

Sometimes that mountain you've been climbing
Is just a grain of sand
And what you've been out there searching for forever
Is in your hands
Oh, and when you figure out love is all that matters after all
It sure makes everything else seem
So small, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Sometimes that mountain you've been climbing
Is just a grain of sand
And what you've been out there searching for forever
Is in your hands
And then you figure out love is all that matters after all
It sure makes everything else
Oh, it sure makes everything else seem
So small

I was so into the song, that I didn't notice Tina and Mercedes help sing backup for me. As I get done, I hear them clapping. I wipe underneath my eyes. Tina comes up and hugs me, along with the rest of the class. "Now, that's what I'm talking about! Isabella, that was amazing. I think we have one of our songs" I smile and look at everyone, my eyes landing on Rachel looking down. "thanks, Mr. Schue, but I think Rachel's voice would suit it better" I smile at her "you should take the solo" she grins at me "it's a wonderful song, I'll try to do it justice" I laugh gently "I don't doubt it" we hug each other. Mr. Schue claps "okay now the group number" I get up and head to the bathroom to clean myself up. As I sit on the counter wiping my eyes, I hear someone come in "That was really sweet. What you did for Rachel, I mean." I look up "well I mean, she's talented. She'll sound better" I smile "that's a load of crap. You sounded amazing" I blush "thanks, San" she nods I look at her "I missed you, ya know" I walk a little closer to her "I know, I missed you too. I'm sorry I've been such an asshole lately. Been going through some things with Britt. I uh- I told her I love her" I smile at her, "that's awesome! I'm so proud of you, Tana" she frowns "she didn't say it back. She said she didn't want to break up with Artie" I sigh "both of you get on my nerves sometimes" she laughs "that means I'm doing my job" I smile nodding "I'm sorry for acting like a bitch" I laugh "next time, just talk to me. You know I'm here for you. I love you no matter what, I just want you to be happy" she hugs me. "Now, let's go back in there. We found out what we're doing for the group number"

*skip to regionals*

"I'm gonna die, I'm gonna fall on stage, and I'm gonna die" I've been rambling for a few minutes now and I feel like I'm either going to throw up, or my heart's going to beat out of my chest. "You'll be fine, I was nervous my first performance, too. But, you'll be fine. We'll be beside each other during some of the song. You got this" I nod at Mike's words giving him a hug "What would I do without you and Tina" he laughs "honestly, I don't know. We wouldn't know what to do without you either" I laugh as I go side stage to listen to Rachel perform my song. As I listen to her, I can't help but feel a since of pride about my song being put out into the world. I feel someone wrap and arm around my waist and pull me into them "You're so talented, Is. This song is amazing" I lean into her "thank you, Britt. I feel proud." She kisses my temple "you should" She looks at the stage and then back at me "you ready to perform for the first time" I nod hesitantly "let's do it"

"Ladies and gentlemen, we're the New Directions" Rachel says before we start singing the group number. As we finish singing we all look at each other laughing. I feel myself get picked up into the air and look down to see Puck. We all get into a group hug, with myself still on Puck's shoulders. I feel people take my hand and smile at them. As all the teams are lined up, a woman goes up to the microphone "I'm bored. Let's just see who won, huh? The New Directions, you're going to nationals in New York." We all scream and hug each other, crying. I see Brittany and Santana hugging and walk up to them. They pull away and look at me, "get in here" Santana pulls me in-between them hugging me.

"Now, we all know that winning regionals was a team effort and nationals isn't going to be any different. But like in sports, every winning team has a player that rises above to help carry their teammates to victory- the M.V.P.
And I would like to start a tradition of honoring that player after every one of our competitions. So, per a unanimous vote by all of you, we have two, our regionals M.V.P.'s are Miss Rachel Berry and Miss Isabella Lopez" Mr. Schue finishes clapping "yeah, that's my sister!" Santana screams making everyone turn to her "what? I like embarrassing her, it's fun" she smirks looking at me "thank you guys, really. Honestly, I want to thank you, Rachel" I turn to her as she looks at me shocked "I was watching you on stage and you made my song come to life. It gave me a feeling I've never felt before. It made me so happy, so thank you" She smiles at me hugging me. I sit back beside Puck as he put his arm around my shoulders "you rocked that song, better than she did" he whispers to me. I rolled me eyes grinning.