Chapter 4

Maze pov

Jim turns to the ring master. "Sir, where's Lila?"

My heart dropped and my stomach turned up side down. On Gotham series, Jerome was an amazing character. But what is he really like in real life? Was he going to be his usual self, or was he going to be totally fucked in the head.

I watched the ring masters face drop. He tried to hide the panic look on his face. Fear in his eyes. He was hoping that Jim didn't bring Lila's name up. I kind of felt sorry for him.

The ring master lead us at the back of the tents. It was packed with people from the circus. Some older men and women were gathering together, looking towards one of the trailers. A woman covered her mouth in shock and walked away. They must be the head of the families.

The ring master gently knocked on the trailer door. Jim was at the front and me and Lee a little further back looking at the snake.

It hissed its tongue and bobbed its head up and down, moving sideways fast wanting to get out. The door opened, revealing Jerome.

 The door opened, revealing Jerome

"G.C.P.D. We need to speak to Lila?"

Jerome grabbed his coat and stepped out of the trailer.

"She's not here." Jerome replied. "Why? What happened?"

"Where is she?" I asked with force, not wanting to show my emotions at him.

Jerome looked at me, something flashed in his eyes. Like he knew me. I could tell he was planning something.

"Uh, I don't know. She was supposed to be home ages ago." jerome replied.

"You a relative?" Jim asks.

Jerome frowned. "-I'm her son, Jerome."

"Do you have any other relatives?" I blurted out. I wanted to slap myself. Shit.

Jerome nodded. "Yes. He moved away with my uncle when he was six. Now, the circus is my family."

Wow. Okay, that wasn't supposed to happen. We were not supposed to know about him just yet. I nodded and wrote it down.

"Jerome, when did you last see her? Jim asked.

Jerome stared at me, I frowned at him." this morning. She was here when I left for the library. "

The ring master stepped beside Jerome and put his hand on his shoulder for comfort. I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Relax, Jerome. This Gentleman and two ladies is here just because Owen and Al had a disagreement. Your mother's fine. Gone on a spree, no doubt. You know how she is."

"A spree? Without her hat? Her coat? Her purse?" jerome asked in panic, turning towards the snake. "Look at Sheba. She's distraught. She knows something is wrong."

"The snake does seem to be agitated." Jim spoke up,, looking at the snake.

"-Sir, heh..." the ring master jumps in quickly. "... She's what you call a party girl. Back in the morning with her knickers in her handbag. Sure as eggs."

"Sir! That is enough. You're not helping here. If you butt in again, I will arrest you on the spot." I warned, okay... That didn't sound like my own voice, it was more harsh.

On the show, I didn't like him. I always thought that him and Lila were more than friends. He seems far too protective over her, more than the Grayson.

The ring master looked at me in shock. My eyes locked on to his, not blinking. Okay, maybe I was looking at him like Jeremiah.

" But she didn't take her bag, did she?" Jim snapped.

"How fast does an animal like that move?" Jim asked Jerome.

"Uh, fast walking pace. They rely on surprise mainly.

" Let her out. " I spoke up.

" What?" Jim, jerome and the ringmaster gasped in shock. Well almost shouted at me.

I smirked at the three of them. I sent a wink to Lee. She looked exited.

" Let her out. We're going to follow the snake." I smirked, looking mainly at Jerome.

"Why?" Lee asked.

"She will pick up Lilas scent. Snakes are loyal to their masters. If Lila is here and the ringmaster or anyone is hiding something, the snake will track her." I told her.