Chapter 6

As Stiles ran tears ran down his furry face. He ran as fast as he could without looking back. All of his childhood memories of his stepfather that he thought he had hidden away forever came back to him. He hated that man with all his being, but he tolerated him for his mother's happiness.

He hated seeing his mother so unhappy growing up, but he didn't know what to do to keep her happy. He felt so helpless back then, but he felt helpless even now since his mother is gone along with his family. He blames himself for not being able to save them.

Stiles tripped over a root and fell face first into the forest floor and rolled down a steep hill. He pushed himself up, but as he did he winced in pain as his front right paw was bleeding and he could tell it was sprained. He cursed himself for being so dang clumsy and limped through the forest.

He made his way through the forest, but as he walked he heard footsteps behind him and turned around. He recognized those forest green eyes as Derek's, but he wasn't in the mood to deal with him. Derek walked towards Stiles to pick him up, but the fox growled as he showed his glowing eyes as a warning. Derek stopped in his tracks and Stiles turned to walk away.

"Scott told me about the abuse you went through or what you told him." he said.

Stiles froze as he looked over his shoulder. His eyes glowed in anger, but he knew it was his own stupid fault for letting it slip.

"I might not know how hard it was for you, but I can promise you it won't ever happen again. Me and the others only want to help you, but we can't if you keep pushing us away like you our." he said.

Stiles knew Derek was right, but was so conflicted with what he should do. All the strength left his legs and he collapsed to the forest floor. He curled into a ball and hid his face as he broke down and cried.

Derek heard the whimpers from the fox and walked towards him. He picked the fox up and held him close to his chest as he rubbed his back. He walked back to his loft with the crying fox in his arms.

When Derek got back to his loft he sat the fox on the couch and sat next to him. Stiles slowly lifted his head and Derek saw his eyes were back to their whiskey brown color. He stood up and walked towards Derek and laid in his lap. Derek smiled as Stiles slowly fell asleep and rubbed his back. As he slept Derek took his pain. Derek knew right then as the fox slept he had found his soul mate, but didn't know if Stiles felt the mate bond like he did.

Stiles ran around outside the den with his best friend Olivia and played tag with her and the other pups. As they played Olivia would run ahead of Stiles. She would laugh and smile, but as did she didn't notice the cliff ahead of her and tripped over a root. She fell over the cliff, but grabbed a unstable root in the side of the cliff. Stiles told the other cubs to get help and ran to help his best friend. He fell to his knees as he saw his friend hanging by the root he reached his hand out for her to grab. She reach for his hand, but as she did the root broke and she started to fall to her death. She closed her eyes as she fell, but felt someone grab her hand just in the split of time. She opened her hazel brown eyes and met whiskey brown ones of Stiles. He tried to pull her up, but he wasn't strong enough. Olivia stared at Stiles and smiled as she knew only one of them was going to die.

"Stiles, we've known each other since we were babies. You've always been like an older brother to me and have done so much for me, but we both know we both won't survive at this rate." she said.

"No! We can both live on together. Forever and always, just like we promised each other long ago." he said as he started to cry.

"No, we can't. Stiles, you have to let me go or you'll die as well."

"No! I won't ever do that. I love you way to much to Olivia!"

"I love you to Stiles and I always will."

Olivia started to cry as she used sharp canines to bite her best friend hand. He winced in pain and his grip on her hand loosened. She jerked her hand away and fell to her death.

"NOOOOOOOOO OLIVIA!" he screamed as she fell to her death.

The adults came running as it was too late and Stiles made eye contact with Olivia's parents. He could see the hatred in their eyes as they stared at him. Olivia's father walked towards him and lifted him off the ground by the collar of his shirt.

"You, you killed my little girl! You were supposed to protect her, but you killed her. YOU WILL PAY FOR KILLING MY PRESIOUS LITTLE GIRL." he yelled.

Stiles jerked awake covered in sweat and struggling for air. He noticed he was covered with a black blanket and was no longer a fox. He could feel his ankle was completely healed and sat up.

He heard footsteps from the kitchen, but stayed where he was at. Moments later, Derek walked into the living room with a bowl of chicken noodle soup. He saw Stiles was awake, but could tell he just woke from a nightmare. He handed the bowl to Stiles and smiled.

"Eat, then you can go get cleaned up and I'll lend you some of my clothes." said Derek.

Without a word, Stiles finished eating and went to get cleaned up. He grabbed clean clothes from Derek's room and headed towards the bathroom to shower. Derek listened for any sound from downstairs, but what he heard worried him. His mate was crying in the shower and he didn't know why.