XVI

"How many in your party" the waitress asks. "3" Don says. She smiles and leads us to a table. We sit down and open up our menus. "What you want mama" Don asks Kairi. "Nuggets" she says clapping her hands. He smiles and says "ok". I smile at them. I love seeing them together. She loves her daddy so much and he loves her.

"What you getting ma" he asks me. I got caught off guard because he hasn't called me that in a while. But I smile and shake my head, "I don't know. Everything sounds good". "What about the steak" he suggests. He knows me well because I love steak. "Imma get that" I say.

We order our food and now we are waiting. Kairi is occupied by her iPad and it's just me and Don. "So Kairi is turning 2 soon" he says. "I know. I want to have a party this time since we really didn't do anything when she turned one" I said. He nods, "with everything that happened, we just didn't have the time to plan a real party" he says. "Let's do something nice but simple. Like a place that has games and shit they can play on" I say. He chuckles and says "yea we can do that".

He puts his hand over mine and looks me in the eyes. "I wanna thank you again for coming with we me to therapy. It means a lot to me" he says. I smile at him and he smiles back.

A few days later
Today was Kairi's birthday party. All of our friends and their kids showed up for her today. We rented out this big place that had games, bounce houses, ball pits, and all that extra shit kids like. Kairi was having the time of her life running around with her little friends. "KaiKai, come take a picture with mommy" I say to Kairi. "No" she yells. I fake pout and cross my arms.

"Come take a picture with daddy" Don says. She smiles and comes running over to him. She reaches up to him and he bends down to pick her up. She kisses him on the cheek and wraps her arms around his neck. "You bogus KaiKai" I say to her while giggling.

"I think mommy jealous. Give her a kiss" Don says to Kairi. She looks hesitant but then leans over to give me a kiss. "Thank you baby" I say. She leans her head back on Don's chest. "Alright everybody lets sing happy birthday to my babygirl" I yell for everyone to hear. They all crowd around as Kairi stands in front of her cake.

"1,2,3.. Happy Birthday to you" we all sing collectively. She blows out her candles and everyone cheers. I take some pictures with my phone.

Don kisses her all over her face making her giggle and scream "no kisses dada"

Don kisses her all over her face making her giggle and scream "no kisses dada". He keeps kissing her anyway. I smile at them and then start cutting the cake.

After the party, Kairi passes out in Don's arms. He puts her in her car seat in my car and buckles her in. He loads all her gifts in my trunk and then shuts the trunk door. He comes over to my side of the car and leans on the window. "I know she had a good ass time. Shorty knocked out" he says causing me to laugh.

He looks at me and smiles hard. "Why you cheesing like that" I ask. "You so beautiful when you laugh. I love making you smile" he says. I playfully roll my eyes. "Ok. Bye Donald" I say. "Bye Nicole" he says. Before he walks away I remember something. "Don" I yell out. He turns around, "Yea". "Could you come put together this new bed for Kairi's room. I can't figure the shit out" I say. "Yea, I'll meet y'all at the crib" he says. "Ok cool" I say.