XVII

A/N: This chapter could potentially trigger some people. Please be cautious when reading. ⚠️

4 months later
Don and I still aren't really on speaking terms. He still doesn't claim our child and continues to be rude to me. He and Kairi just came back from a vacation he took with his family. "mommy" Kairi yelled as she came through the door. She ran to me and I picked her up. "Did you have a good time with daddy" I ask. She nods her head. I smile and put her down. She runs off to her room.

"I see she had a good time" I say to Don trying to spark conversation. I rub my belly and I notice he's staring at it. "You know I find out the gender next week" I say. He shrugs. "We still doing this" I say with a sigh. "That ain't my baby and if it is, I told your ass I ain't want it. I sent you some abortion money" he says with hate behind his eyes.

Tears flow from my eyes and I stare at him. "Them stingy ass tears don't mean shit to me Nicole" he said with a scowl on his face. "Why are you so mean to me" I asked through tears. "Man watch out, I'm about to get up outta here" he said smacking his lips and trying to get around me. I purposely stood in his way so I could get him to talk to me. "Move Nick" he yells. I jump at the bass in his voice but I stay in his way. "I swear to God Nicki, get the fuck out my way" he yelled in my face. "Why won't you just talk to me" I asked.

He smack his lip and pushes me out the way. I trip over the leg of the coffee table and fall beside it. He sighs and rolls his eyes. He steps over me and leaves out the front door. I sat and cried for a little.

Kairi comes up behind me and hugs me. "You ok mama" she says. I crack a smile and hug her. "Mommy is fine baby" I say. "Dada push you" she says. I looked at her with wide eyes. I didn't know she saw us. "No baby, mommy fell on accident" I say. She nods and then runs back to her room.

Next week
"You ready to find out the gender" my doctor says with a smile. I nod my head and put on a huge smile. "It's a....Girl" she says. I clap my hands and cheer. She cleans the jelly of my stomach and helps me sit up.

"Mr.Brewster busy today" she asks. It stung hearing her ask about him. "We aren't really together anymore" I say. She looks at me embarrassed and apologetic, "I'm sorry, I just assumed that the baby—" she says before I cut her off. "No it is. He just doesn't believe me" I say. "You want to do a paternity test" she asks. I shake my head. "I'll get one when she's born". The doctor nods and then we exchange goodbyes.

After I got out the office I get a call from Don's mother. It was weird since she never called and she definitely didn't like me. "Hello" I say. "Hey Nicki. Why don't you come over for dinner tonight. Just me and you" she says. "Uhh I guess so. Is it a special occasion? Want me to bring Kairi" I ask. "No no. Just you sweetheart" she says sweetly. "Ok. I can be there around 7" I say. "That's perfect" she says. We say goodbye and bang up.

That was weird as fuck, I thought. I get in the car and drive over to her house.

I walk up to the front door and I knock. She opens it with a smile and pulls me in for a hug. I hesitantly hug her back and she leads me inside. "The food is almost ready. Sit and make yourself comfortable sugar" she says. I sit down at the kitchen table and I watch her continue cooking. "So I'm just going to get right to it" she says.

"I know we didn't start off on the right foot and I wasn't exactly the nicest. I want to apologize for that. I was being judgmental and over protective. Sometimes I feel like I have to be" she says. I nod my head and say "thank you for that". "I heard that my son is being an asshole" she says looking at me.

I look at her pretending to be confused. "Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. Y'all need to be more careful. Kairi knows and she understands something is wrong. She told me he yells at you and pushed you. Is that true" she asks. I look down and break down in tears. She walks over and rubs my back. She pulls me into a hug and I cry into her chest.