Chapter two:

The dreadful morning came.
And like all other mornings,the birds were chirping and singing happily like all the earth is alright. The dazzling sun rays were still undercover but they could be spotted. The streets weren't still in full swing so it was still quiet and calm.

Mia got up from bed and went to stand by the window. Her lately favourite spot where she would just sit and stare outside wondering if everybody was as okay as they looked.
Nothing had changed in her neighborhood. The white SUV truck at the Benjamin's was still there as always. Miss Dante's flowers still looking as pretty as ever waiting for the sun so that they could bloom. The road signs intact and everything just as where as it's supposed to be. Except her mom's car. That wasn't in place. It was parked right outside the door step which is very insane. Because it's actually supposed to be parked inside the garage. But then again, even if it wasn't to be inside the garage it still wouldn't be right infront of their front door.

Calmly but slightly confused and disturbed she walked away from her watching position and went to do her hygiene. Today was a different day from all her other days. It was her first day of high school being 2 months behind and she couldn't help it but feel slightly panicked plus anxious. Each passing moment made it harder for her to breath being aware that in apparently an hour plus some minutes more she would be facing a whole new world full of new people and maybe some old ones also.

Then came that moment where she had a strong debate on what she would wear. A week ago she had agreed to herself that she would wear black jeans, a sky blue blouse with top three buttons and converse. But right now she didn't feel like the outfit spelt out her feelings correctly. So she replaced the sky blue blouse with a black one and ended it with black flats. Simple as such.
She got out of her room and walked past her mother's room. There were no movements which meant she was still in bed or up but in the study. So she knocked once....twice...thrice but there was no response so she walked in.

"Mom?" The room was vacant with no one inside. The bed neatly made and the curtains up. Mia looked at the clock on the wall. It read six forty five am. What time did she leave? She thought to herself. She walked to her dressing table and sat on the stool. A pair of brown of eyes she wasn't familiar with stared back at her. She looked okay and as dull as she wanted it to be. It made her feel relieved. Maybe this way her mother would be able to look at her in the eyes more often,converse with her and not run away.

She hoped.

She hadn't seen her for almost three days now. All she did was leave a good amount of allowance,good food to microwave and some short notes like "hello Miami, I'll be back late tonight. Don't stay up waiting for me." Or "Hey sweety,gonna be gone for a week. I've asked Mrs. Knights to watch over you." Or "call me if anything comes up."

Which really bothered her but she never got a chance to explain because her mother,Jackline Peterson, was always on the run. Either at work,working out,knitting anything just to avoid her. Or getting into a conversation with her which would lead them into discussing about their past like who her other kins were other than aunty Marcy from Florida and their neighbour Mrs Knights (whom they weren't related to but considered as a relative because of the many times she had offered to babysit Mia when her mother was away and so was her dad.)

She combed her wavy brown hair and applied a bit of gloss. She wanted to display grief from her outfit but she was heading to looking like a widow with the way her face looked. Without her green eyes she was completely nothing. Even Michael Knights would probably not recognize her.
But it was okay. That's what she wanted. Minimal attention. No hey,that's the new girl, oh my god are your eyes real? Kind of bullshit. No,no,no ...she was going to walk in and out unnoticed. And hopefully leave that place in the end of each passing day unnoticed like she did not matter or exist. Because that is what she was in the lives of whom mattered to her. A non-significant figure. Which made her wonder so many times if her mother would even notice if she went missing for a couple of days. She should probably experiment that and find out. She's only to find out from her neighbour. Not from her own findings. She wasn't that keen about her only daughter and child.