Interlude 1

"Any news on the Fire Stone, Skye?" Welkisberk asked. An attractive blonde wearing a trendy party dress made of blue silk stood before him, hands on her hips and a smile on her lips.

   "I've send a cloudwing to the Fire Tribe to ensure the stone is still under close watch," she responded. "I haven't heard back yet, but I'm certain they haven't gone near it."

   "Good. Are the slaves doing their jobs well?" After much debate, Welkisberk had resolved to appoint Charley and Barley as the personal servants to his daughters, the lovely princesses Lestara and Fantasia Welkisberk.

   "They seem to be. The princesses say that they are very efficient. Though personally, I think they are going too easy on them. They are slaves, not friends."

   Welkisberk smiled at the thought. "Well, you know my girls. You're dismissed for now, go get some rest. I'll get the information from the cloudwing when it arrives."

   Skye bowed and left. No sooner had she done so, a tiny creature that looked very similar of a butterfly made of cloud fluttered in. "Greetings, Oh Grand Exalted King Welkisberk. I was told to bring you information regarding the Ethereal Stones?"

   Welkisberk perked up. "Ah, yes. Any news about the Ruby?"

     The cloudwing hung its head. "It bodes not well for you, Oh Grand Exalted King Welkisberk. Someone has already collected the Stone. The underground member Leena has lost her abilities. Maxia is no more."

Welkisberk was terribly shocked. "WHAT?!"

   The cloudwing remained unfazed. "They refused to tell me the perpetrator's name, though they did mention he is a spider."

  "A spider?"

  "Yes. I regret to inform you that I have no other information. Am I dismissed?"

  Welkisberk huffed in frustration. "Yes, yes, get out of here."

   The cloudwing fluttered away, only to be replaced by a pair of twin women. They both had light brown skin and glimmering green eyes. The taller of the two was redheaded and dressed in violet satin. The shorter one was blonde and clad in pink velvet.

    Welkisberk's heart lifted a small bit at the sight of them. "My daughters!"

   At the acknowledgement, the princesses turned and curtsied lady-like to their father. "Good evening to you, father," said the blonde. "Are you well?"

  Welkisberk's lips tightened. "I could definitely be better."

  Her face twisted in worry. "Is there an issue, father?"

"Indeed there is, Fantasia. Someone has claimed the Ruby."

    The redhead inclined her head. "Well, once you have the other nine, retrieving the Fire Stone should be cake."

   Welkisberk sighed heavily. "I suppose you're right. I could be overreacting."

   "I do admire the new slaves' tenacity," Fantasia piped up, wisely changing the subject. "Where did you get them?"

"I captured them from a place called Toontown."

   Fantasia frowned. "The rumors say the people there are lazy and inconsiderate of their superiors. You must've gotten lucky."

  Lestara bobbed her head, flashing her red locks like fire. "Yes, yes, and that Charley one is rather cute."

  Her little sister rolled her eyes in exasperation. "You always fall in love with the slaves, Ara. And yet, you're so harsh with them."