CHAPTER 3: The Depths I'll Go

Edgar was sleeping when the Sapphire set him down a little farther from the temple. Faith was dragging him along the worn path. No small feat - she was no taller than a man's middle finger.

   In his dream, Edgar was running through a field with perfectly cut green grass. On the far side, perched on a tree stump, was a human boy who looked to be in his teen years. He had dark brown hair and glittering, translucent blue wings. He wore travel clothes.

   Edgar cautiously approached the strange boy. His striking eyes, a silvery hazel, settled gently on him. "You must be Edgar." His voice was strong, and did not match his youthful features.

   "Yes, I am."

   The boy shook out his wings, revealing toned arms. "I am Hunter. I've been guiding your friends."

   Edgar had to fight more tears. "Are they okay?"

   "Yes, they are. They are treated as servants by my- I mean, Lurther Welkisberk. They are trying to help you the best they can. Focus on getting those Stones. Welkisberk doesn't stand a chance."

   Edgar sighed in relief.

    Hunter glanced off toward the bright horizon. "Return to the Elders. And please, tell my sister I'm alright."

   "Sister?" Edgar frowned.

     Hunter's smile was sincere. "You know her. She's been through great lengths to help your success."

    Before Edgar could ask for more, his eyes opened, and he found himself sitting before the Elders.

    He pulled out the Sapphire and showed it to Marlow. The Sea Elder nodded approvingly. "You've done well, child. How, may I ask, did you kill the Kraken?"

   "Some friends helped me get the Stone," Edgar replied, modestly.

     Marlow considered this. "It's almost as if they knew you would come."

    "Knew?"

    "The Ethereal Stones were deliberately shrouded in mystery. However, many of the newer generations in our tribes believed them to be naught more than myths."

   "He is saying that not many should know that a hero would claim all ten," Jinx said quietly. "The fire and sea delegates that helped you are proof that not everyone forgot the legend."

   "Oh."

  The Canyon Elder, Shenos, stared him down. "Your next destination is Mercury Chasm, the current home of the canyon tribe. The Topaz grants the power of telepathy, a gift every canyon member has."

  "How far is this place?" Edgar was feeling unusually weary.

   "Quite far, but I can transport you there instantly, much as Marlow did when you went to Sedove Cove."

    Edgar experienced the folding-in-on-self sensation, and then found himself standing at the bottom of a huge ravine carved from orange-brown rock. Remains of fossils decorated the rock, as well as plenty of lines.

     Walking further, Edgar walked right into a camp-like community. The people there were all dressed like geologists, and every single one had bright orange eyes.

   Faith finally spoke. "These are the canyon tribe. Hopefully, someone has knowledge of the Topaz's location."

   Edgar felt a tap on his shoulder. "Excuse me?"

   Edgar screeched like a parrot. "Oh my god! Don't scare me like that!"

   He turned to face the speaker, and discovered it was a young boy with dusty red hair and fair skin. "I'm very sorry, but have you seen my quartzite? I think I dropped it here."