CHAPTER 5: Scaling Your Fears

"Excellent, excellent!" Eros praised.

             "It's no big deal." Edgar replied, blushing.

              The Mountain Elder, the lovely Nerlex, inclines her head. "You have reclaimed your powers, young one. Congratulations. Your next destination is Rosehip Peaks, where you will find the Amethyst."

              "Rosehip Peaks?"

               An image flashed vividly in his mind. It was of two large mountains, both a glossy purple in color. A colony was seen in a clearing on the taller peak. "You will find the mountain tribe atop Thundercrag, the taller peak. Moontop, the smaller peak, houses the jewel, zealously guarded by one of the Apparitionist's monsters. He is not pleased that you keep wrecking his plans."

             Edgar blanched. That sounded bad.

            "You have me here," Faith said, patting Edgar on his shoulder.

            "Rest assured, your powers will make that monster regret ever crossing paths with you," Nerlex said, nodding sympathetically.

           Before Edgar could speak, he found himself standing by the mountaineers' camp he'd seen before. All of the mountain folk wore climbing gear in different shades of purple. Their eyes were purple as well.

          "So, are you ready?" Faith asked, looking at Edgar. He looked intimidated by the scenery. "You are getting closer to collecting all the stones. Though, I never realized exactly how isolated the mountain tribe are."

          "Yeah, this place is pretty deserted." Edgar did not feel ready, especially after Nerlex warned him about Welkisberk. Nevertheless, he had no choice.

         "You can see the very top of Moontop from here," the fairy commented, waving a hand at the smaller mountain.

          A new voice, behind them, spoke. "Yes, many are enthralled by the view."

          Edgar whirled, resisting the urge to scream. He was glad he didn't, because he would've looked like an idiot. The speaker was a fair-skinned girl with blonde locks, a leather jacket, thick boots, and a large pack. "You're not from around here, I can tell by your aura. Who are you?"

          Edgar was getting sick of answering the same exact question. "I'm Edgar."

          The girl cocked her head, confused. "Never heard of you. What're you here for? Certainly more than the view, with power like that."

         "I'm here to look for an Ethereal Stone somewhere around these parts. You know where it is?"

          The girl's eyes widened. "You want the Amethyst?! Nobody who's managed to scale Moontop survives the creature!"

         Edgar rolled his eyes. "I'm sure I can take him." The confidence was back.

          "I'll have you know that this very spider claimed four of the Stones already," Faith blustered. He's challenged an ice spirit, a legendary sea beast, and an enchanted steed. He's also bested a poetic statue."

          The girl looked absolutely shocked. "How did you manage all that?! You're a kid!"

         "A kid with powers," Edgar replied smugly.

         She shook her head. "If you need help scaling Moontop, you should take me along. I've done it before, though I've never gone into the caves."

         "OK, come on, let's go," Edgar said impatiently.

          The girl guided him to a slanted cliff where the mountains joined. The top was roughly halfway up Moontop. "I'm Nyssa, by the way. Are you really going to challenge the Scallion alone?"

         "Yes! I have to get the Stone! But if you want to help, you can."

           "I'll try my best," Nyssa promised. "The Scallion actually arrived recently. If I didn't know better, I'd say 'he' sent it to guard the Stone. That's probably plausible, if you've collected four."

           "Yeah, I'm pretty sure this guy Welkisberk wants my head on a platter."

             Nyssa made an "ick" face. "Gross. I hope that gives him indigestion."

             Edgar sniffled. "I hope Charley and Barley are alright..."

            "We'll get them back," Faith assured him. "Right now, think of those four powers you can add to your arsenal!"

            Edgar wiped his face. "I guess you're right."

          "And you'll get the power of healing if you succeed," Nyssa enthused. "I'm rooting for you, kiddo."

          "You see, we got this. Don't worry, we will defeat anything that dares to cross our path," Faith said, with a face glowing determination.

          Edgar lost his footing and slipped, scraping his body against the rock. Nyssa caught his hand. Thankfully, otherwise he would've been tumbling down the most painful slide of his life.

        "That hurt," Edgar moaned.

         "Hang on." Nyssa hoisted him up onto the landing, and pressed a hand against his cheek. The injures vanished, leaving no trace. The pain was not just lessened - it was now nonexistent.

         Edgar stared at Nyssa, his mouth open. "How did you do that?!"

       She smirked. "Like I said before, the gift of the mountain tribe is healing. That's all thanks to the Amethyst and our Elder."

       Nyssa pulled him into the mouth of the unforgiving cave. Primal symbols were scrawled on the violet walls, which were faintly lit by blue torches.

      "What are those symbols?" Edgar asked, though he wasn't sure he'd like the answer.

       Nyssa frowned. "No idea. Like I said, I've gone to the peak of Moontop, but I've never entered the caves."

      The torches grew scarce, and the loud hissing started. Nyssa's hand was sweaty compared to Edgar's. "The Scallion is close."

          Like black lightning, a sleek black snake the size of a car lashed at them from out of the darkness. Its large fangs, twice the size of kitchen knives, just barely missed Edgar's neck.

          Edgar ducked, and Nyssa dove for cover. Faith hovered in the corner, where the Scallion couldn't reach her. As the giant reptile wheeled around, Edgar caught a glimpse of purple amongst its pitch-black scales. The Amethyst was merged with its scales!

        "There! Guys, the- "

         Before Edgar could react, the Scallion struck again. This time, Edgar wasn't able to dodge it, and the sharp fangs sank into his flesh. With the flow of blood came a feeling like a syringe - like getting a shot, the medicine pushing into your skin.

         Unfortunately for Edgar, this injection wasn't helping him - it was doing the opposite.

         "Venom," he murmured, trying to get away.

          Suddenly, he was free. The Scallion screeched as Nyssa wrapped her arms around it, preventing its movement. She yanked the violet gem from among its scales, and it collapsed, crumbling into dust.

         Edgar collapsed as well, bleeding horribly and dripping Scallion venom. The venom spread quickly, and his breathing was labored. Nyssa crouched and seized his injured leg. The bite marks closed, leaving no trace of blood or venom.

      "What the- ?! How did you heal all that?! It's like I never got poisoned!" Edgar exclaimed in wonder.

       Nyssa held up the glittering gemstone. "The Amethyst amplified my healing abilities, apparently." She held it out to him. "Take it, it'll keep you stable. Someone should name a holiday after you!"

          Edgar grabbed the Amethyst, his odd feeling returning, burning strong. The Amethyst shone a brilliant violet radiance.

         He had a chance, and everyone knew it.

        ~END OF CHAPTER~