Interlude 5

Welkisberk was examining his nails, contemplating his next move. The spider was seriously ruining everything he'd worked for! How was he going to kill him? Surely the spider wasn't strong enough to make it to his castle.

      His inner thoughts were rudely interrupted when Skye rushed in, nearly tripping over her green knee-length boots. Her red party dress swished around her thighs. "Master!" she panted, swiping a hand across her red face.

      "What?!" he snapped. He was not in the mood for more bad news right now.

      Skye was bent over, resting her hands on her knees. She looked like she'd run a marathon in a blazing desert. "You remember that big black snake you sent to guard the Amethyst? The Scallion?"

     "Yes, why?" Welkisberk was pretty sure he knew the answer already.

      Skye bit her lip, looking up at her master nervously. "I've... just received word that the spider killed it."

    "What ?!" he screamed. He'd been anticipating that, but it still came as a shock.

   "I don't understand how he's capable of this!" Skye cried. "You've prepared for every possible enemy!"

    "Send more!" Welkisberk bellowed. "The spider must die!"

    "RIght away, master!" Skye stood and hurried away, clearly not wanting to risk his wrath.

    Unfortunately for Welkisberk, the news had not only been heard by Skye, but by two servants as well.

   "This is bad..." Charley whispered, terrified.

    Barley didn't seem nearly as fazed. "At least Edgar's strong enough to have survived the guardians so far. I'm confident he'll make it."

    I appreciate your enthusiasm, fisherman, Hunter interjected, but you must always remain vigilant. Your friend has several more hazards to face, each riskier than the last, before he can challenge Welkisberk.

   "I hope he make it through alright..." Charley muttered, wiping his eyes.

    "Charley!" called a female voice. Lestara swept into the hall, now clad in a sky-blue gown. "I need you to do my nails. Afterward you'll need to help me with my hair as well."

    Charley plastered a fake smile on his face. "Alright, be right there."

     Lestara nodded, turned heel, and strode away. Once she was out of earshot, Charley sighed heavily. "I hate this..."

     Barley was shaking his head. "Sheesh. At least Fantasia is lenient with me. Don't worry, when Edgar comes to save us, we'll leave all these stuck-up impostors behind forever."

      Charley sniffed. Barley had a point - that was definitely something worth waiting for.

       I do hope my sister is alright... you say neither of you knew of your friend's powers ?

       Both men disagreed.

        Odd. You three should discuss your abilities with one another when you get free. It's best to coordinate when you all know your full capabilities.