Interlude 6

Filing Lestara's nails was not nearly as pleasant as Charley had hoped, thought it was much closer than he'd expected. The work itself was not hard, but listening to the princess' monologue was torturous.

         "...and do you know what she said to me?! She said, 'Ara, you're completely nuts. He's a servant, Daddy will never allow it.' As if she could tell the future queen what to do!"

        End me , Charley said in his head. Out loud, he said, "Oh boy, that's terrible. I feel bad for you."

      "I know, right?! And your friend is getting off too easy under Sia's commands. I don't see him tending to her every need, do you?"

       Charley shook his head, but Lestara wasn't done. "Exactly! Slaves are laborers, not social workers. God, Sia can really be an idiot sometimes."

       This comment was followed by a knocking on the door. "Ara?" It was Fantasia.

    "Yes?"

   The door opens, revealing Fantasia in the doorway. She was now wearing a sunshine-yellow gown affixed with fake sunflowers. Barley stood by her side. "My servant needs to borrow yours again."

    Lestara huffed, clearly frustrated. "Again?! He can wait, can't he?"

   "It's an emergency," Barley said. He sounded disturbed, and he looked worried.

     Lestara fixed her gaze on him, her stare unforgiving. "What could possibly be so important that you have to keep stealing my servant away? I refuse. Deal with it on your own."

       Barley looked on the verge of tears, and Charley finally realized it was an act. "Lestara, I still need him. It's important."

        The comeback left Lestara speechless - probably because Barley dared to address her by her first name. "Since when were we on a first name basis?" she asked, softly.

         "Since now, apparently." Barley sniffed.

            Lestara folded her arms, defeated. "You have half an hour to do whatever you need to do. If Charley's not back here in half an hour, I'll tell Daddy you were skipping out on your responsibilities," she threatened.

        "Alright, alright," Barley said, dropping the act as he dragged Charley away. When they were safe, Charley rounded on Barley. "What's so urgent? Trust me, Lestara meant what she said."

        "It's Hunter. He needs our help again." Barley sounded genuinely worried this time. Charley wasn't surprised to hear this, but he was instantly on edge when he processed what it meant.

        I've just been alerted that your friend collected the Sterling. Welkisberk is furious. He is still not entirely convinced that you know nothing of the spider's quest.

        "I knew he was onto us," Barley murmured.

          Charley was terrified. "What do we do?! We have to help Edgar!"

          "How?! We're stuck here!" Barley responded.

           All we can do is lie low.

            Barley shook his head, hands on his hips. "The kid better get here quick. I don't know how much more labor I can take before I collapse."