Interlude 8

"Anything new on Edgar, Hunter?" Charley was getting desperate. It had been four hours, and their impromptu helper had not spoken once.

       "Yeah, I'm also getting very impatient," Barley murmured. The fisherman had been trying to take a nap, but he was having a hard time falling asleep when he couldn't stop thinking about poor Edgar.

         Thankfully, Hunter responded now. Nothing yet. I think Skye suspects me spying, because there has been absolutely no word of your friend yet.

          A knock at the door startled them all. Charley got up to answer, and was a little surprised to see Princess Fantasia standing there. By her side was a hooded figure not much taller than Barley.

          "This woman showed up a few minutes ago," explained the princess. "She insists on speaking to you."

          As Fantasia left, the woman flung off her cloak. It was a middle-aged lady with cocoa-colored skin and golden locks. Her wings reflected rainbows in the corners, like dragonfly wings. Her eyes were an intense green. "I understand you know my son, and they're something you must know."

         Charley frowned. "What do we need to know?"

         "Yeah, you seem pretty suspicious to me," Barley agreed, crossing his arms. He sharpened his eyes.

         The woman sighed. "I can see the future, hence my name. Do not try to interfere with your friend's quest aside from what my son directs you to do. You must only listen to Hunter. If you do otherwise, you will both die and your friend will not survive."

        It took a moment for the gravity of her words to sink in. Charley and Barley exchanged glances, and shouted at the same time, "Hunter is your son?!"

        A twinkle in the woman's eye gave them the answer. "He's told you about me."

       Charley's jaw dropped. "Wait... you must be Prophecy! He has told us about you!"

      "My mother named me Prophecy because I had the ability to tell the future." She smiled sadly.

       She's pretty great. But what she's saying is everything will go awry if you don't listen to me.

       Prophecy faced Barley. "Tell me about your friend."

       Barley found his voice after being rendered speechless. "His name is Edgar. He's part of our own group. We call ourselves the Butcher Gang."

       Prophecy nodded. "Hunter says he's been collecting the Ethereal Stones. You must be very proud."

       Barley had a hand over his heart. "We are truly proud of him. I hope he's alright..."

       Hunter gasped suddenly. He certainly is! He's just gotten the Aventurine!

      Charley pumped a fist in the air. "Yes!!"

     Prophecy's smile could not have been more genuine. "I see you'll be hysterical when he comes to get you."

"We certainly will be," Charley agreed. Barley was fighting tears, and Charley pulled him close into an embrace. The fisherman sobbed into his shoulder.

"It's alright, old man," Charley soothed. "We know he's alright."

"He's grown up so much... I hope he will always be this successful," Barley sobbed, with a small grin filled with happiness.

Prophecy curtsied. "I will leave you to your emotions. I trust you will hear from me soon."