CHAPTER ENDGAME: The Apparition King

Landing before the temple for the final time, Faith hovered in front of Edgar's face. "Are you prepared?"

         The spider did not feel prepared, but he knew Charley and Barley were counting on him. "As prepared as I could be, I guess."

         Edgar inhaled sharply upon noticing the glimmering tears on the little fairy's face. "Hey, don't worry. We'll fix this mess."

         Faith sniffled, dabbing her face. "It's not just you I'm worried about... I'm scared for the lives of my mother and brother as well..."

        Edgar laid a hand across his chest. "I promise, I'll do whatever it takes to help them too."

        Faith flittered over to Edgar's cheek and gave him a tiny kiss. "You're so sweet... your friends are so lucky to have you!"

       Edgar blushed, his cheeks swelling with color. Getting a compliment from a fairy is no easy feat.

      Upon revealing the Diamond to the Elders, Jinx nearly burst into tears. "You... you did it?!"

       Hearth held her hands over her heart. "You've done well, young arachnid. If you will allow us the ten Stones, we will forge the weapon."

       Edgar handed each Elder their particular Stone. Each one muttered something, and the Stones formed an orderly ring above the pedestal in the center. Binding together and releasing a blinding flash, the Ethereal Stones took the form of a sword. The blade was silver, and the hilt was golden and adorned with the ten Stones.

        Edgar was completely speechless. He couldn't believe his eyes! That sword was beautiful, and had all eleven magic abilities!

       Marcellus bowed gracefully. "Behold, Veriasys. We have not had to forge it for millennia, but now, it is yours."

       Edgar covered his mouth. "That thing looks sick."

       A single second passed before the sword literally rushed into his hands, its energy pulsing through him. This sword was clearly nothing to sneeze at.

      "I think I'm ready," he declared, swishing it in the air a few times for emphasis. It was so easy to control, it could've been part of his arm.

       "Haha, watch out. Their doom shall arrive," Faith grinned.

        Nerlex smiled knowingly. "Welkisberk doesn't stand a chance against you."

        Saying nothing, Jinx turned and whistled, and a very familiar roar answered. Serenity stuck her head through the archway, snorting smoke. Her eyes were adventurous, as though inviting trouble. She once again lowered her wing, allowing Edgar to climb onto her.

        "Please forgive Serenity for the skirmish earlier," Jinx said, softly. "She was under a spell, and unable to perceive you as you truly are. She is a loyal servant to the Sky Tribe."

         Serenity nodded as she smiled.

         Edgar turned to Faith. "You stay right here. I'll be back with my friends and your family."

         Faith clung to his fur. "You have to take me with you! I won't let you leave me!"

         Edgar patted Serenity's neck, and the dragon tossed her head and roared, spreading her wings and taking flight.

         Elsewhere, the other two Butchers were tied together in the vast arena.

        "Now what?!" Barley muttered, straining against the bonds.