Interlude 9

Finally claiming sleep was a tedious process for Barley, but exhaustion had overwhelmed emotion. He stirred slightly, then snapped awake. Someone nearby was panting heavily.

        "Stop that," Barley moaned, still groggy. From the distinct noise, he assumed it was Charley breathing.

        I ... can't...

       Barley gasped. It wasn't Charley at all! "Hunter?!"

       Hunter huffed and puffed. Yes... that took a lot out of me...

      "What were you doing? Is there something wrong?" Barley was almost afraid to ask.

      Your friend... almost died... I was forced to interfere...

      "Edgar?!" Barley screamed. "Is he OK now?!"

      Yes... but if my sister... hadn't alerted me... he wouldn't be...

      "Barley? What's going on?" Charley strode into the room, freezing in place when he saw the look of panic on the fisherman's face.

      "Edgar almost... d-died!" Barley cried.

       "WHAT?! This can't be a joke, right?" 

        Barley tried to breathe. "But Hunter saved his life!"

       Charley slumped against the wall, sighing in relief. "Thank god!"

       Barely... my sister sent me a warning signal... if you want to thank someone for saving your friend, thank her.

     "Tell her we said thank you," Barley said, wiping his good eye.

      I will... but I need you to spy on Welkisberk again.

      Barley sighed. "Let's not get caught. C'mon, Charley. We have a job to do."

      Just like the Butchers expected, the Apparitionist was practically exploding with rage. "Are you serious?! How is this possible?"

      Skye, once again wearing a gorgeous outfit, was red as a strawberry. Her hair was wild and disheveled, like she hadn't slept in many days. "I can't believe it either, sire! If he defeats the dragon, we're doomed!"

      "He cannot  get the final Stone!" Welkisberk screamed.

      "What do we do?!" Skye screeched. "Do we just hope  the dragon kills him?! Considering the previous circumstances, there is a good chance he'll survive! It's too much of a risk! We need some sort of backup plan, master!"

      Welkisberk had gone silent for the moment. Finally, he said, "You and I are going to travel to Cloudopolis and assist the dragon."

      Skye blanched. "Not you, sire! I can't bear to put you in harm's way! Please, I must insist you send me, and me alone."

      Welkisberk regarded his servant kindly. "I appreciate your compassion for me, Skyeyatana. I allow you to go, and I will arm you. Kill the spider, and you and I will rule together."

      With a casual flick of his hand, a gleaming sword appeared in Skye's hands. The handle was silvery blue, and the blade was shaped like a lightning bolt.

     Skye's eyes flashed, and she was clad in a full suit of armor that matched her sword. She lowered herself onto one knee. "Thank you, sire. The spider will not survive again."

      Welkisberk smiled. "Now, go." Skye vanished with another flick.

      The sudden disappearance sent the Butchers into panic.

      "Crud! This is bad," Charley muttered, his eyes glazed with terror.

      Barley was getting choked up, his eyes streaming. "If Edgar hardly survived that last ordeal, he'll get murdered!" His shoulders heaved with sobs.

     Charley was desperate, and his voice quavered. "Hunter! Is there any way you could help him like last time?!"

      He was silent for a moment. ...I don't know. That last rescue nearly pushed me to my limits. And I doubt I'm any help if I'm dead.

      "Then what do we do?!" Charley stammered.

     A  harsh voice sounded behind the two men. "You two aren't going to do anything."

     Charley and Barley gasped. They were so busted.

     Welkisberk was standing behind them, hefty arms folded. His gaze was murderous. "Did the two of you really think your little antics went unnoticed? Think again. My daughters told me everything."

     Charley gulped. "E-everything?"

     Welkisberk grinned like a shark. "They suspected you were up to something, so they watched you in secret and reported back to me. Who were you speaking with just now?"

     "N-no one!" Barley stuttered.

      The Appatitionist's hands firmly seized an ear on each of them, laughing evilly. "You know what, just to up the ante, I'll let your friend come here, if he survives. He'll be forced to hand over the Eternal Sword, if he wants you both alive."