Interlude 7

Charley was resting on his bunk bed, impatiently bobbing his foot. He had taken his break early because he was sick of hearing Lestara's babbling, but now he had nothing to occupy himself.

         He sighed heavily. "Hunter?"

        Is something wrong? You seem agitated.

        "I'm just worried about the kid..."

          Hunter chuckled. Don't be, he's gotten six of the Ethereal Stones so far! That's more than half!

       Charley wasn't entirely reassured. "Still, though..."

       He never finished that sentence, because right then, Barley burst into the room, panting hard. He looked incredibly flustered.

       "Barley?" Charley said, sitting up. "What happened?"

        "Edgar's got the Emerald!" he blurted excitedly.

        Charley sat up so quickly he banged his head on the ceiling. "Already?! How does he do it?!"

       See? Hunter said, smugly. Nothing to worry about at all. He knows what he's doing.

        "Were you doubting him?" Barley asked, regarding Charley suspiciously.

      "No!" Charley said, hurriedly. "I just didn't think he'd get the Emerald that quickly."

       Suddenly, Hunter gasped. Both of you, hide! Someone's coming this way!

       The two men shared a glance before diving under the table and shielding themselves from view with the tablecloth. Skye burst in, clad in indigo and her hair tied in a bun. Her lovely features were knotted in anger. "Where are you? I know you're in here."

     Don't either of you dare speak. Keep your mouths shut.

      Neither man said a word.

       Skye folded her arms. "Well, wherever you are, I know you can hear me. Your friend may have most of the Stones, but the measures in place ensured his death. He won't survive any longer." She turned heel and slammed the door shut.

       When both were confident that she was gone, Charley exhaled. "That was close."

       Barley was getting choked up. "But... what if she's not bluffing? Edgar could..." He broke off in tears. He didn't finish his sentence, but he didn't need to.

      "We have to get out of here and help him!" Charley cried.

       ...I'm not sure you can.

       Charley was tearing up as well. "Then how are we going to help him?! There must be a way!"

      If Skye thinks this next creature will kill your friend, she's crazy. Honestly, he should've died at the Kraken, but he keeps surviving. All you can do is hope. She's just trying to push your buttons.