nine

Podrick pours Tryion and me some wine.

"Odd little boy," my mother says.

"I have a certain sympathy for odd little boys," Tyrion says.

Pod stands at the archway.

"You and Varys both."

I can feel Pod looking at me and I can tell my mother notices.

"Excellent lamprey pie. Were you slaving away in the kitchen all day?"

"I hear Joffrey plans on fighting."

"It'll be an inspiration for the troops," I say, "The young king in his shining armor fighting to defend the capital against the wicked old rebel."

"He's only a boy."

"I'll be fighting, and I'm younger than him."

"I don't want you fighting either but your uncle did train you so I have more confidence in you than Joffrey. He's not ready."

"What is he, 17?" Tyrion asks, "Remember Jaime at 17?"

"Better than you. Some men have a gift for this sort of thing, some don't. His place is not on the battlefield."

"It's not on the throne, either, sadly for all of us," I say.

Tyrion smiles and out of the corner of my eye, I see Pod trying to hide his adorable smile.

"Do you think I'm an idiot?"

"No," Tyrion says, "I'd say you possess above-average intelligence."

"You shipped off my daughter. And now you want to send my oldest children to the battlefield to die."

"He'll have his kingsguard protecting him. And for Scarlett, she can take care of herself, she's almost better than Jaime."

I crack a little smile. Pod smiles a little causing my mother to get more suspicious.

"The men will fight more fiercely seeing their king fighting beside them," I say

"Do you know why Varys is so dangerous?" my mother asks.

"Because he has thousands of spies in his employ. Because he knows everything we do before we do it."

"Because he doesn't have a cock."

"Neither do you," Tyrion says.

"Perhaps I'm dangerous, too. You, on the other hand, are as big a fool as every other man. That little worm between your legs does half your thinking."

"It's not that little."

"Eww," I say very disgustedly, "I did not need to know that. Well on that note. I'm going to bed. Good night."

"Good night."

"Night Scarlett."

*

Stannis army is coming tonight. We are nowhere near ready.

My hair is the same as it always is, in a braid crown held together but a gold ribbon with my house sigil on it. But today instead of a gown I wear armor, goldish armor with my house sigil on the front of it.

Pod is putting on Tyrion's armor while Varys is standing on the balcony.

"I've always hated the bells," Varys says, "They ring for horror, a dead king, a city under siege."

"A wedding," I say.

"Exactly."

"Podrick, is that it?"