Chapter 1

"Hey Rubes!" Yang called as Ruby walked into their house in Patch.

"Hi Yang," Ruby returned, flopping down on the couch. "I'm tired..." she whined, snatching the plate of cookies off the table.

"We're vampires Ruby, we can't get tired, it's literally impossible." Yang pointed out, rolling her eyes.

"But I'm tired!" the red head whined dramatically.

Yang heaved a sigh. "So what happened?"

Ruby swallowed the cookie she was eating.

"I went to a dust shop in Vale, and the shop was getting robbed..." Ruby explained, leaving Yang to figure out the rest.

"You played hero?" Yang guessed.

Ruby nodded.

"You ended up killing someone? Or getting caught?" Yang asked.

"I got caught by a huntress, then we talked, and she blamed me for the robbery." Ruby scowled.

"And then?" Yang prodded.

"She offered us a place at Beacon?" Ruby replied hesitantly.

Yang froze. "Rubes, you didn't..."

"She didn't give me a choice! Besides, there was an old guy who took her side." Ruby grumbled.

The red head had always hated humans, when she was a child she'd been an introvert, then when she became a vampire, humans were mostly just food to her, then the vampire hunters came and killed their parents...

"I get it Ruby," Yang said softly, throwing an arm around her. "But who knows, maybe they'll be at Beacon."

"But that was a long time ago Yang, they would be long dead by now," Ruby pointed out, leaning against the blonde.

"Mm, doubt it, their kind never dies, and besides, there's supposed to be a whole line of them, some family from Atlas whose name means snow," Yang explained.

"Schnee..." Ruby breathed.

Yang nodded. "Yeah, that's it!"

"What are their names?" Ruby asked.

"Jacques, Willow, Winter, Whitley and Weiss." Yang answered, only to pause. "Wait... not Weiss, apparently she's against her family 'traditions.'"

"They're Schnees Yang, they killed our parents, and didn't even care..." Ruby's gaze darkened, eyes turning red.

"Mom always did say no mercy." Yang agreed.

"Raven said a lot of stuff," Ruby pointed out. "She had something to say for everything."

Yang smiled at the thought of her mother.

"Yep, she wondered how Summer made such good cookies when we don't need to eat, and how Qrow loved alcohol even though it's bad for us, and dad... he always planted flowers named after the sun." Yang chuckled, despite how sad she looked.

"We'll get them Yang, all of them." Ruby promised softly.

"What I never got!" Yang announced suddenly. "Is why you and Summer went for walks at sunrise!"

Ruby shrugged.

"Why did you and Raven go to Vale just to study humans?" Ruby asked. "It reminded me of school trips when we were human."

"You remember being human?" Yang asked in shock. "You were six!"

"Not that much; boring classes, ugh, boring humans..." Ruby grumbled.