12 - pillowtalk

12

"Mom's never been good with first aid," James laughs.

He and Mickey just finished dinner when James had the sense to ask if Mickey's wounds had been tended to. After receiving Mrs. Potter's apologies, Mickey tells James that he hadn't.

James promptly freaked out, and demanded that Mickey go take a shower as soon as he finished eating. "Gently," he had warned. "I'll clean up your face when you're done."

And so here they are, Mickey sitting on the closed toilet seat, curls still dripping from his shower. He's got on one of James' t-shirts and flannel pants, both fresh out of the laundry (James had insisted, since the lavender scent of his mom's fabric softener has always helped him sleep at night. That's the only reason.)

James always thought he was the skinniest out of his friends, but it's rather cute to see that his shirt looks so big on Mickey. The neckline hangs low, which startled James at first, he'd admit, but that's only because Mickey has really prominent collarbones. James just wants to make sure Mickey is eating enough.

"It's getting in your eyes," James says. Without thinking, he runs his hand through Mickey's hair and brushes the bangs out of his face. "There."

"Thanks, Jimbo." Mickey watches him sift through the first aid kit.

James feels nervous when Mickey's full attention is on him. Probably because he's afraid of looking like he doesn't know what he's doing. "I'm not a healer," he warns. "I'm good at tending to wounds, though. At least, according to Remus."

"Does he get into fights often?" Mickey asks. "He seems to always be scratched up. I've always thought maybe he has a very mean cat."

"Something like that," James replies. He squeezes some ointment onto a square of gauze. He then places two fingers under Mickey's chin and lifts his face towards him. "This might hurt a bit, I'm sorry."

Mickey hums in response. He's watching James, and it makes the bespectacled boy more nervous than he thinks he should be.

Mickey is looking at him like he expects something, and while James knows he's awaiting the first sting of the ointment, he wonders why it feels like something more.

He tries to stop thinking so much and instead presses the gauze against Mickey's lip.

"Ow," Mickey hisses. He reaches out and fists James' shirt.

"I'm sorry," James says. He focuses more on being gentle and less on what Mickey thinks of him. "I was distracted."

"Distracted by my pretty eyes?" Mickey quips just as James finishes cleaning his face.