16 - party

16

"We have to go!" Sirius says. "When's the next time we'll be invited to a muggle university party? This is a once in a lifetime chance!" He's jumping around his bedroom, struggling to pull up the left leg of his pants.

James is pretty sure those uni kids were just drunk during midday, inviting everybody to some random house.

But they had looked pretty cool. Plaid pants and fishnet shirts and ripped leather and spiked hair and dyed hair and tattoos and cigarettes, and a lot of other things that make James' head spin. He likes it all.

And Sirius has enough clothes to go around.

Soon it's ten o'clock, and James is decked out in his paint-covered jeans, and a leather jacket over a tucked-in tee. It's nothing special, but Sirius says that James can keep the jacket — "You should paint it! That's hip right now." — so he likes it.

Millie offers to do his eye makeup, but James isn't comfortable enough for that just yet, so he declines.

Mickey doesn't decline. Mickey seems completely in his element, and once again James feels this constant reminder that the world molds itself to Mickey's presence. This is Mickey's world and everyone is just living in it.

Because Mickey is wearing his own clothes; stupid pants that are half-black, half-plaid; stupid holes in said pants mended only with safety pins; stupid boots that make him a few centimeters taller; stupid black tee shirt that hangs off of his lithe frame, littered with holes and tears so that James gets a peak of Mickey's stupid tattoo with every move he makes.

Most of all, though, stupid Millie for being so good at eye makeup. Mickey has heavy eyeliner on, accompanied with some kind of glittery, copper shadow that only makes him look more intimidating than he already is. And his nails are painted. Black this time, and James thinks it looks really cool.

Anything Mickey does is cool to James.

"What do you think?" Mickey asks James, specifically. He does a small twirl, and James kind of wants to memorize the moment forever. It feels like it's only him and Mickey in the room, but more importantly, it feels like Mickey cares about James' opinion. It feels like Mickey wants James' approval.

James reckons Mickey could wear a garbage bag and he'd still find him attractive.

But saying all this might make Mickey find out that he likes him, so pushes his glasses up his nose and focuses on leveling his voice. "You look great."

"You too, Jimbo," Mickey clicks his tongue at James before wrapping his arm around Millie's shoulders. "Now, let's go get wasted."