26 - polarity

26

Mickey wakes up sore, but prideful. He breathes a sigh of relief into the cold and empty room, feeling glad that he's finally defended his own honor for once.

The curtain pulls back, and Regulus Black appears. "Oh. Thought for sure I'd catch you and your boyfriend in here."

Mickey studies his pout. It seems teasing, but Mickey wonders why the idea would be funny. "Adam isn't my boyfriend. I thought I made that clear yesterday."

Regulus laughs and plops onto the bed. "Bloody hell, you really were out cold! Potter woke up and pulled you in for a cuddle. Guess he got released early."

Mickey narrows his gaze at Regulus. "Are you messing with me? If this is the build-up to some joke, you can give up now."

"Merlin, you don't trust people too easily," Regulus bites his lip and looks away. "I'm here because I like you. I think you're quite interesting, and I need some friends who have interests other than—"

"Murder? Racism? Classism?"

"Yeah." Regulus grimaces. "Esther and Levi are your friends, right? Levi doesn't like me much."

"Why? You bullied him?" Mickey isn't trying to be blunt, but Regulus has always been a bit of a people pleaser to the wrong crowd. It's possible he's been rude to the pair before.

"Not in an unfriendly way. We both like the same girl."

"Oh yeah, Esther told me." Mickey sits up, forgetting all about James and Adam and anything else. "To be honest, I thought you were, you know, like me."

"Gay?" Regulus asks.

Mickey nods, still a bit frightened at the sound of the word. Granted, it sounds like less of an insult coming from his mouth. "Yeah. Sorry."

Regulus gives him a confused look. "I've grown a lot over the summer, Einstein. Bought a book on a few subjects Millie taught me. Things like toxic masculinity. I'm not offended that you thought I might be gay, and to be honest I don't know what I am. I'm not sure what I want."

"You said you want the girl you're fighting with Levi for," Mickey points out.

"Ah," Regulus nods. "Yes. Karma Bret. She's part veela."

"Is that the only part that attracts you to her?" Mickey asks.

Regulus hums. His cheeks grow red as he looks down and begins to pick at the sheets. "Dunno."

-

Can we talk? About us?

— Mickey

"Oh my Merlin, oh my Merlin! Wormtail, read this!" James is glad he chose to hide out in the dormitory for the rest of the day, or he wouldn't have gotten this note until much later. "He must've just sent it, right?"