22 - provoke

(warnings: one unwanted kiss)

22

Mickey is avoiding him. James knows this because he's been sending owls to Mickey's dormitory, hoping they could correspond their interest in each other through letters, until Mickey is comfortable going public with it.

But he sends the owls back, unopened.

"Do you think he doesn't like me anymore?" James asks Benji Yoon, the only boy not out on a date during their first weekend as seventh year students. His girlfriend had homework, so he's in the dorms keeping James and his melodramatic ass company.

Benji bites off the head of a gummy worm and frowns. "He didn't open them, so it isn't like he knew they were love letters. Maybe he's just too busy, or maybe he didn't have anything to tip the owls with."

James hears Benji, but the logical words sound like static against his ears. "What if he thinks we were just a summer fling? Or like he was my rebound after Lily? Or I was a bad kisser—"

Benji throws a gummy worm at him. It hits James' cheek, and James would be offended if it weren't for the fact that the treat is red, and James' favorite flavor (cherry.)

"It's your first week back," Benji says while James chews angrily. "Give him some space. He's probably got a lot to do, you know? Quidditch Captain and N.E.W.T.s and all that. Maybe he just needs some time."

James still reckons he's a lot to handle. "But I miss him."

Benji giggles. "You look pitiful. Are you two in love or something?"

James thinks about their summer together. He thinks about his hands in Mickey's hair and the way Mickey's lips felt on his. "Or something," he mutters. "Maybe I jumped the gun and he's just been putting up with me this whole time."

"You're the dumbest boy I know," Benji says calmly. And that's all he says — nothing more.

James agrees. "I've got head boy duties with Lily. I'll see you later."

-

Mickey drops down off of his broom just as a few Slytherin students trickle onto the pitch. "All yours," he breathes out to Millie Yoon — their captain. He lifted the hem of his shirt to wipe the sweat off of his face, and when he drops it, Millie clears his throat.

"Thanks, Mickey," She says, eyes bright. "Good luck this year, yeah? I hope we're scouted for the same team."

"Me too," Mickey gives her a smile and nods in greeting to the rest of the team as they pass.