20 - prongs

20

Mickey bites his thumbnail and tries to focus on the The Amazing Spider-Man comic he stole from James' room. It's pretty interesting, and Peter Parker is hot, so Mickey is having a nice time. (He does get distracted every once in awhile, thinking of what James would look like in the Spider-Man suit. But that's normal, right?)

In the back of his mind, he can't help but wonder when James will come home from his sleepover. And Merlin, he kind of feels like a clingy girlfriend, but he can't help it. It's not even his clinginess, because truthfully he's glad James can have time to be alone with his friends.  It is his insecurity bugging him, telling him that James is much happier with his friends than he ever is with Mickey.

Mickey wonders if James is bored of him. Or worse, tired of him. Done with him.

He slaps the comic down onto his blanket. He can hear the Potters downstairs, laughing and listening to music. They sound so happy; content.

Mickey doesn't like to entertain the thoughts of a domestic life with a boy. It doesn't sound realistic. It sounds like some kind of outward plot from a fantasy novel. Mickey knows for certain no boy is ever going to risk his freedom in society just to be with him.

But sometimes, when he's too tired to filter his thoughts, he thinks of what life might be like if it was forever spent with James.

It sounds so simple. Like the title of a convenience store book: Life with James. But to Mickey, it kind of sounds like a fairytale. And sure, it might not be perfect. Every couple has their ups and downs, but Mickey has spent a lot of time with James, and they've always worked out their differences rather quickly.

As for the ups, Mickey thinks there is nothing more wonderful in the world than being near James. People everywhere dream of happiness; of fame, money, and success. Mickey thinks they've never seen James Potter's smile. They've never heard his sleepy mumbles in the morning. They've never seen the little pout he adorns when he can't find his glasses. They've never felt James' lips against theirs, and the drunken taste of whiskey and lemonade. If they had, they would wish for nothing more ever again.

So Mickey is content forever, he thinks, just to be by James' side. Still, he can't help but wonder if the feeling is mutual.

Mickey is nowhere near as mesmerizing as James Potter. James is kind and gentle and motherly and protective. There's no better friend than him, and Mickey reckons there probably wouldn't be a better boyfriend than him either.

But Mickey... Mickey is a liar, and a burden, and he creates more problems than he solves. He's not exciting, or interesting, at least not in his own opinion.