Chapter 3

"Vause. Hey Vause." Nicky said as they walked over to her car. "Hey. Earth to Vause. Anybody in there?"

            "Sorry Nicky. Just thinking."

            "Lemme guess. You're thinking about that girl you just met in there."

            "No, no of course not."

            "Vause don't lie to me. I've known you long enough to know when you're lying."

            "Fine. I'm thinking about her."

            "Listen, Vause. You spoke, what, fifteen words to each other? I'm not saying you can't go for it, but just remember the last time you thought you liked someone. Other than me of course."

            "I know Nicky. I don't think I can forget that. It's just that... well she seemed different. When I shook her hand, I dunno. It felt special. It felt right."

            "I believe you kid. Just don't have her replacing me as your best friend, ya hear?"

            "Loud and clear Nicky. Loud and clear."

~~~

            Piper looked down at her watch and sighed. "Of course I'm late on the first day of school," she thought. "So much for a good first impression."

            Piper arrived in her first class, chemistry, over ten minutes late.  The teacher looked at her with a disapproving look on his face.

            "You must be Ms. Chapman. Take a seat."

            Flustered, Piper scanned the classroom. To her delight, she spotted Alex sitting alone at a lab table in the back of the room. Alex had looked up when she heard Piper's name, and was now excitedly gesturing her to come sit down. Piper rushed to the back of the room and sat next to Alex.

            Alex lifted her glasses off of her face and rested them on top of her head. Then she leaned over and, stifling a laugh, whispered, "Nice job Pipes. Knew we should've driven you."

            Piper playfully elbowed Alex in the ribs.

            "I like it when you call me Pipes." she whispered back.

            The rest of the class went without anything really happening. Piper really liked chemistry, but today she couldn't concentrate. All she could think about was the girl sitting next to her.