Chapter 17

On Thursday night, Marissa's mom called her. "Hi Piper! Do you think that you can babysit tomorrow night? John and I made last minute plans, and Marissa really wanted you."

            Piper had plans with Alex, but she decided to babysit anyway. "Sure! I'd be happy to. I'll see you tomorrow!"

            As Piper hung up the phone and texted Alex.

            Hey Al. I need to babysit tomorrow night. Marissa's mom made last minute plans. Is it okay if we just hang out on Saturday?

            Alex answered back almost immediately.

            Can we talk about this in school tomorrow? I wanted to give you something tomorrow night?

            Alright Al! See you tomorrow.

~~~

            Piper walked into school ten minutes before homeroom started and found Alex sitting by her locker.

            She sat down next to her and Alex kissed her gently. "Hey Pipes," she said, taking her glasses off of her face and placing them on top of her head, leaning over and kissing Piper gently.

            "Hey Al! What did you want to give me?" Piper asked.

            "It's a surprise silly," Alex joked, nudging Piper in the shoulder. "It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you what it was. Do you think that you can come over after you babysit?"

            "Yeah, I think so. Marissa lives close enough to you that I can walk there."

            The bell rung.

            "Shit," Alex said. "We're gonna be late."

            The two girls got up and rushed to their chemistry class, incredibly flustered.

~~~

            "Hi Piper!" Marissa said, obviously excited to see her.

            "Hey Marissa," Piper said, smiling. She loved this girl. Marissa was adorable.

            "All right Piper, we'll be out until about 11:15. Make sure Marissa goes to sleep by 8:30. She has a soccer game tomorrow morning at 9:00, I don't want her to be tired for it." Marissa's mom said.

            "Okay, sounds good! Have fun." Piper responded.

            As Marissa's parents walked out the door, Piper turned to Marissa.

            "So, what you want to do?" Piper asked the little girl.

            "I want to draw!" Marissa said, "But it's a surprise. You can go watch TV or something."

            "Okay then," Piper said with a laugh. She walked into the living room and turned on the TV.  About 45 minutes later, Marissa walked in.

            "Here Piper! I made it, just for you." she said.

            Piper looked down at the paper. On it, Marissa had drawn her and Alex on the swings at the park. Piper gave Marissa a big hug. "Marissa this is amazing. Thank you so much."

            "You're welcome Piper! I wanted to draw you something and that was the only thing I could think of drawing."

            "It's amazing Marissa. Absolutely amazing." Piper said, putting the picture in her pocket.

~~~

            Over the next few hours, Marissa ad Piper played all sorts of games. Nothing seemed to keep the little girl entertained for long. Finally it was time for Marissa to go to bed.

            Piper walked up with her to her room, and as she was turning off the light she heard a small voice call out to her from across the room.

            "Piper?"

            "What's up Marissa?" Piper responded.

            "I hope I end up having a relationship with someone just like you have with Alex. You guys are really good together."

            Smiling, Piper said, "Thanks Marissa. I hope you do too. Good night."

            Closing the door behind her, she walked out of the room and lay down on the couch. Somehow she managed to fall asleep there. It seemed like she was asleep for only a minute before Marissa's mother was shaking her awake.

            "Hey Piper. Piper. We're home." She handed Piper some money.

            "Thank you." Piper said her voice heavy with sleep. "If you ever need someone last minute again, I'll be here."

            With that, she walked out of the house and started making her way to Alex's apartment. Within a few minutes, she was there. She knocked on Alex's door, and the brunette opened it within seconds.

            "Hey Pipes," Alex said stepping back from the door and allowing Piper to come in, "Wow,  I like your sweater. Where did you get it?"

            Piper looked down and noticed that she was wearing the sweater that Alex had given her when they had gone on their first date. "I don't remember. I must have gotten it from a really cool girl."

            "Damn," Alex joked, "Just cool? I'd say that with a fashion sense like that, she must be hot as fuck."

            "Haha," Piper said sarcastically.

            "So how was this babysitting thing that you felt you needed to blow me off for?" Alex teased.

            Remembering the drawing that Marissa had made, Piper pulled it out of her pocket and showed it to Alex. "Marissa drew this. It was so adorable. She also said she wanted a relationship like ours."

            "Aww, this kid is a keeper Pipes. She sounds so cute," Alex said, looking at the drawing. "Anyway, I wanted to give you something." Alex got up and walked over to her room. She came back a minute or so later, a small box in her hand.

            Piper opened it. Inside was half of one on those heart necklaces. On it was written "I love you." Well, half of "I love you." Same thing though.

            Piper saw the other half of it around Alex's neck, showing slightly. She put it on and hugged Alex. "Al, you're adorable."

            "Thanks Pipes, I try."