Chapter 4

The rest of the week was a blur to Piper. So many new faces and names. It was overwhelming. The only thing that had kept her going through the week was Alex.

            By Friday afternoon she was so excited to get out of school. Piper ran through the hallways to her locker. After struggling to open her lock for a moment, her locker sprung open. A note fell out of it and slowly drifted to the floor. Piper picked it up and as she began to read it a smile spread across her face.

Hey Pipes,

Meet me at Nicky's car? I wanna know if you want to hang out at my place.

♥Alex

            Piper shut her locker and immediately called her mom.

            "Hey Mom"

            "Hi Piper! How was school? Do you want me to pick you up?"

            "Actually Mom, my friend Alex invited me over to her house. Is it cool if I hang out there for a while?"

            "Of course honey. I'm glad that you're making friend. I'll see you later!"

            Piper hung up the phone. It seemed that a smile was permanently plastered on her face. She hurried out of the school. Within seconds she saw Alex leaning against the side of the car with Nicky.

            "Chapman, you look happy. Did ya win the lottery or something?," Nicky asked.

            "Something like that," Piper replied, smiling shyly at Alex.

            "Ohhh, I see how it is. You better not be replacing me as Alex's best friend." Nicky teased.

            "Shut up Nicky," Alex joked, "Piper is gonna join us today. Is that okay with you?"

            "Of course it is. I love this kid" Nicky said as she put her arm around Piper.

            All three of them laughed. They piled into Nicky's car. Piper sat in the back by herself, with Alex in the passenger's seat and Nicky in the driver's seat. A conversation bubbled up and before Piper knew it, they were pulling into the parking lot of an apartment building.

            "Pipes, do you want some pizza? I was thinking about ordering some?" Alex asked.

            "Yeah." Piper responded. She hadn't realized how hungry she was until Alex mentioned pizza.

            The three girls entered the apartment. Nicky flicked on the light switch as Alex dialed the pizza place. Nicky and Piper walked over to the couch in the living room and sat down while Alex ordered the pizza.

            "So Piper, how're you liking school?"

            "Eh, it's okay. There's really only one part that I like."

            “Oh and what’s that?” Nicky inquired with a sly smile on her face.

            “I can’t read people that well, but I can tell that from that smile, you probably know.” Piper answered, chuckling softly.

            Alex walked into the room and sat down next to Piper, casually putting her arm around her as she did so. “I ordered a cheese pizza. I hope that’s okay with you Pipes.”

            “That’s perfect.” A huge smile spread across Piper’s face. She couldn’t help it.