22 - I've Gotta Go

*Thomas' POV*

As soon as I'd noticed her, I'd pushed Sally away and sprinted after (Y/N).

I was outside her door and had been for the past half hour. I heard no crying, no talking just drawers opening and closing, things shuffling around. I was about to knock yet again when the door opened, revealing the (Y/H/C) girl with her bags and jacket.

"(Y/N)," I whispered, thinking about how I could explain this.

"Thomas, listen," she sighed, pulling on her jacket.

"I gotta say what's on my mind
Something about us
Doesn't seem right these days
Life keeps getting in the way
Whenever we try, somehow the plan
Is always rearranged
It's so hard to say
But I've gotta do what's best for me,"

She put her backpack on her shoulder and started to walk down the staircase, me following her in confusion.

"You'll be okay
I've go to move on and be who I am
I just don't belong here, I hope you understand
We might find a place in this world someday
But at least for now, I gotta go my own way."

(Y/N)'s leaving? No, wait! She can't! I want... need her here. I grabbed her wrist, pulling her back a bit. She sighed and shook me off.

"Don't wanna leave it all behind
But I get my hopes up
And I watch them fall every time
Another colour turns to grey
And it's just too hard to watch it all
Slowly fade away,"

Why didn't I tell her about mine and Sally's past in the first place? She told me about her ex's. Stupid Thomas, stupid!

"I'm leaving today
'Cause I gotta do what's best for me
You'll be okay,"

No I won't. I continued to follow her, struggling to find the words I needed. How do you gather what you feel for someone in a single sentence to get them to stay?

"I've got to move on and be who I am
I just don't belong here, I hope you understand
We might find a place in this world someday
But at least for now, I gotta go my own way."

She was opening the front door. It was now or never.

"What about us?
What about everything we've been through?"

She turned and looked at me, surprised that I'd finally said something.

"What about trust?"

"You know I never wanted to hurt you."

"And what about me?"

"What am I supposed to do?"

"I gotta leave but I'll miss you."

She started walking down the steps and along the pathway, pulling her suitcase with her. Tears were rolling down her cheeks as she kept moving and not looking back.

"So, I've got to move on and be who I am,"

"Why do you have to go?"

"I just don't belong here, I hope you understand,"

"I'm trying to understand."

"We might find a place in this world someday
But at least for now."

"I want you to stay." I grabbed her wrist in an attempt to pull her back. She turned and looked at me, her eyes desperate and sad.

"I've gotta go my own way!"

We looked at each other for a split second. (Y/N) pulled her arm from my grasp.

"I've got to move on and be who I am."

"What about us?"

"I just don't belong here, I hope you understand."

"I'm trying to understand."

I watched as she carried on walking, her brother's car now visible at the gates.

"We might find a place in this world someday,"

She stopped and held her wrist in her own hand, looking down. She turned and looked at me. Her eyes were so desperate.

"But at least for now, I gotta go my own way."

She placed something in my hand and let hers linger for a while. I didn't even try and hold her. Like the saying goes... if you love them, let them go.

"I gotta go my own way,"

She turned and carried on to Aaron, placing her bags in the car. She opened the passenger door and looked back at me.

"I gotta go my own way."

With that, the door slammed and they left. I just stood and stared until the pair were no longer in eyesight. I finally looked down at my hand to see a cut threat bracelet.

In magenta and (F/C), just like the one on my own wrist.

Okay so at the time it was just to humour my sister... I guess. But now, now those woven bracelets meant something.

And I lost it.

Slowly, I walked back to the house, opened the door and walked past Sally who had witnessed the whole thing along with my older sisters. They followed me to the table where I sat down and just looked down.

Suddenly, everything hit me harder than Angelica ever could and I burst into tears, burying my face in my hands, not even caring that my family could hear my wails. Sally sat next to me and reached her arm across. The old me would've taken her hand but now I yanked my arm away from her.

"Thomas? What's wrong?" Ma asked, walking into the room. I stood up and started to leave.

"Ask them." I glared at my older sisters. This was their fault.

"What did we do? All we did was invite Sally here to try and fix what you had." God Nadia tried to sound so innocent.

"And when I came here with another girl did you not think maybe I didn't want it fixing?"

"Oh come on Tom! Like you really liked her. I mean how many girls have you been with in your life?"

"(Y/N)'s different." I sulked, walking to the stairs.

"How?"

"I love her god damn it!" I turned from my place on the step not even hiding the fact I was crying. "I love her so much! And now, because of you guys dragging me away from my attempts to show and tell her, she's gone! You told Sally to come and see me instead of her! Sally, you know I'm not interested in you anymore so why'd you kiss me!? I doubt she'll want to see me again! So I hope you're happy! Congratulations!" I stormed upstairs and slammed my door, jumping into my bed, shoving my face into a pillow and crying.

After a while, there was a quiet knock at my door. "Tommy?"

"What?" The door creaked open to reveal my littlest sister. "Oh it's you, come in." I Said, trying to wipe my eyes. The small girl climbed on my bed and sat next to me. She reached out and held three of my fingers in her hand.

"I don't like it when you're sad." She said.

"I know, sorry Pipsqueak." I sighed.

"Can I make you better?"

"I dunno. It's not that easy."

"I brought you a cookie." She looked up at me hopefully, shoving the biscuit in my face.

"You're too good for this world I swear." I laughed a little, enveloping the child in a hug.
"Oh and,"

"What?"

"Daddy's talking about you borrowing his car to go get her."

"He is?" I watched the girl nod happily. I sighed, "She won't want to talk to me." We sat in silence for a while.

"Hey Tommy?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you wearing (Y/N)'s scrunchie on your wrist?"

I looked down to see, sure enough, her scrunching was still there from this morning. I hadn't actually taken it off since.

I smiled sadly. "Yeah."