43 when we danced

Dancing with the star.

It was Friday and I so wasn't ready for prom; in fact, I was the opposite of ready for prom. I was unready for prom. So not there. I just wished Sirius could come with me, perhaps if I had asked sooner, then he would have gotten ready sooner and we could have been there together.

But that just causes a bunch of other problems. Firstly, I don't think he was ready earlier. And secondly, people would probably disturb us all night asking where he had been. Thirdly, we would have to come out to the entire school.

I guess it was gonna be fine anyway, I was going with Peter after all and he's nice. Just couldn't help but want more. And by more, I mean Sirius.

"Why that long face?"

I looked up and spotted Angeline in front of me. Immediately, I raised myself and prepared to walk towards Sirius' room. My long face quickly disappeared when I realized I would see him soon.

"How are things going with Carl?"

I had been waiting in his room for him every day ever since he became friends with Carl, and every day he would tell me stories of the things they did together. I was only slightly jealous that Carl got to spend more time with him than me. Sometimes it was nice to know the stuff from Angeline's point of view because Sirius didn't always want to tell me everything. I could easily imagine him lying about it to make me happy.

"It's going really great," she told and I sighed relieved. "They had lunch together today. He's doing so great and if it keeps going like this, he will be out in no time." I smiled at that. All the thoughts of spending forever with him came back to me.

When we reached his room, she knocked but didn't open the door, instead, she turned around and examined my face. Angeline reached for my hair to fix it a bit, but I quickly flapped her hand away and ran my hands through it; probably only messing it more up in the process.

"What was that for?" I crossed my arms.

"Don't you wanna look nice for your boyfriend?" But before I could answer Angeline had opened the door.

My eyes immediately found the bed, but he wasn't there just like all the other days. The curtains were drawn, and the light turned off, but fairy lights filled the room. They decorated the bed, and many more were hanging from the ceiling. I only faintly heard the piano playing and the lyrics to some song.

Heart beats fast.

Sirius stood on the middle of the room shifting his weigh from the one foot to the other. His hair was loose, and he was wearing a tie, but otherwise, he was wearing his normal clothes. The fairy lights sparkled in his eyes as he observed me while biting his lip.

How can I love when I'm afraid to fall?

Angeline pushed me forward. I vaguely sensed the door closing behind me. My eyes were only on Sirius and I couldn't remove them.

He walked towards me with hesitant steps, put an already-tied tie around my neck, and tightened it slowly while looking into my eyes. My knees almost gave up under me.

I have died every day waiting for you. Darling don't be afraid, I have loved you.

His hand found mine and he brought it to his lips.

"Care to join me for this dance?"

I nodded as I didn't trust my own voice at that moment. Sirius pulled me into the middle of the room. My eyes were locked with his. He placed his hand on my back and I put mine on top of his arm. He took my other hand with his and lifted it up. Slowly, we began dancing from side to side with small steps.