48 The Sad Ending (part 2)

IMPORTANT

If last chapter left you heartbroken, I can recommend reading this. It makes up for the pain a little.

.:lll:.

.:lll:.

.:lll:.

I did spend my forever with him.

Sirius had figured it out. If he never felt anything, he couldn't feel hurt. It was an amazing plan, even though Angeline didn't like it. There just wasn't a lot of feelings for him to feel.

Scared, perhaps?

The very thing he had been afraid would happen all along, did happen. Remus left him. Though it wasn't intentional, he was still alone. Or well, not alone. There was always at least one person in his room with him since the funeral.

Fake-Remus visited him the day they were supposed to wake up in each other's arms for the very first time. He had promised Sirius they could be together forever. It had been an amazing thought at the time, and some part of him still longed for it. But he knew real-Remus wouldn't want him to.

Sirius had played the part and went to the funeral. He had looked at the coffin and imagined that Remus was truly there, that he wasn't waiting just outside for him. At the right moment, he had run away. But Angeline had stopped him before he could jump into the lake.

It had taken almost six months, but he was feeling a little better.

His fingers were still aching to hold Remus' hands. His body still hoping Remus would one day step through the doors, hug him tightly and never let go. But he wouldn't, and Sirius knew it. He still woke up some nights and were unable to fall asleep again.

Though even when gone, Remus was still there for him.

Sirius suspected the dream catcher didn't work as it was supposed to because Remus was no longer around. But he also liked to imagine that Remus was trying to sort the worst dreams away, the best he could from his place in heaven.

Perhaps he and Dad did it together. His lips twitched. Remus and Dad would like each other. They were both so nice and caring people.

He hadn't had an 'incident' since the first one. Not even close.

Remus would want him to continue living his life the best he could. Sure, he had been stuck in a hospital for the better part of a year, but he was making progress.

He was eating at every meal, and he drank lots of water. He even hung out with Carl from time to time, yet they mostly just sat together in silence. But most importantly, he called for a nurse every time fake-Remus showed up.

Sirius desperately wanted to feel better. He wanted to get out of the hospital and make Remus proud. Remus had wanted Sirius to get out of the hospital, and he was going to do that.

Someone knocked and opened the door to his room. He paid no mind. It was probably time for a new nurse to look after him. Angeline didn't think it was necessary, but Sirius felt calm knowing there was always someone ready to help him.

"Sirius?"

The voice was soft and reminded him of one he hadn't heard for years.

Sirius peeked at the door from his place on the bed. His breath got caught in his throat and the whole world stopped spinning. He couldn't move. Was Regulus truly there, or was it a fake-Regulus?

"Reg?" It was barely above a whisper. His eyes moved to Angeline who nodded slowly. Within seconds he had moved across the room and swung his arms around Regulus. His brother returned the hug.

After several minutes they finally pulled apart. Sirius was still taller than him.

"What are you doing here? Where've you been? What about our--" Sirius stopped himself.

"We moved to France shortly after that guy adopted you. I think mother and father were afraid he would get me too." The French accent was apparent in his voice. "But I got a text from James and Peter not long ago."

Regulus looked behind him, and Sirius followed his gaze. James and Peter were standing right outside the room.

"You mentioned Regulus once," James explained. "And since then Remus... he thought Regulus would make you happy, so he wanted to find him."

"We like you," Peter blurted. "We helped Remus search, and even continued after what happened."

Sirius fought back tears. Even from beyond the grave, Remus helped him.

"Remus sound like a nice guy." Regulus caught Sirius' gaze. "You'll have to tell me about him sometime."

Sirius nodded, took a shaky breath and wiped his eyes. "He was. He truly was. He made me feel so special. Like I was the most important person in the world. And he helped me all the time--"

Sirius wiped his eyes again. He wished Remus was there. More than anything else. He wanted Remus back.

"You don't have to tell me." Regulus carefully put his hand on Sirius' shoulder, yet Sirius shook his head.

"I want to. I have to be able to talk about him." He took a deep breath. "No matter what I needed, he always found a solution. He respected my boundaries once I asked him to. He understood what I needed. I love... I loved him."

Regulus pulled him into a hug. James and Peter joined in too.

Sirius hadn't felt so great in so long. His brother was there with him. James and Peter were still his friends. He would have all of them, plus Angeline and Carl to help him once he got out. And he knew Remus was watching him from above.

"James and Peter will have to help me fill in the blanks." Sirius managed a smile once they pulled apart. He dragged them to the bed.

Sirius hadn't felt better in so long, and he truly believed he could someday feel completely okay. But no matter what, he would never forget the boy who had turned the light back on in his life. The boy who was the reason he had so many great people in his life.

He would always remember Remus.

.:lll:.

.:lll:.

.:lll:.

This is what happened after Remus died.

I've thought of writing this story from Sirius' POV, but you will have to let me know if you're interested in that.

Otherwise, this is the last you'll hear from this story :D Remember to check out my other stories though!