Chapter One: New Beginnings

Mikasa Point of View:

Summer was finally reaching its end. It was fun and all but getting back to school did have some advantages. I was finally going to one of the senior students at the place. The high school that I attend is called Shinganshina high. There were some problems though.

Sleep. One of life's many wonders. I was enjoying some wonderful sleep when sunlight decided to invade my room. A bright shine hitting my no longer sleeping face. Slowly getting up, trying to shake the sleep off me, I figure it wouldn't hurt to look at the time. "Oh, it's 8:20. That's cool." My pillow welcomes me back into its snuggling embrace. My body sinks into the mattress and the blanket wraps me up snuggly. I was in my happy place.

"I'VE GOT SCHOOL!"

Storming out of bed, I make my way to my bathroom. I take a quick 20-minute shower, doing all the essential stuff like brushing my teeth and washing my dark hair. Once I dried myself off, I got changed into my uniform. My uniform consists of a white shirt, a black skirt that reaches my knees and a black jumper with the school logo on it. White knee high socks complete my uniform. I run down the stairs, almost losing my footing more times than I am comfortable with. Breakfast was a definite miss today. Shame. I'm really hungry. I grab my bag and start my run to school. Mornings, am I right?

After running for what felt like forever, I finally reach the main entrance of the place That I call school. The Watchman, Hannes, was at the gate doing his job. We exchanged greetings as I walked past him. He's a nice guy but smells of alcohol most of the time. "You better hurry Mikasa. You know what Levi is like." I reply with a simple nod. Being out of breath from running made it hard to form words properly, let alone into a coherent sentence. My mind only had one thought on it. "I'm so dead."

The hallways were empty so jogging through them was easy. No need to worry about anyone getting in my way. Not too long later, I can see the sign that hangs over the door to homeroom. I swing the door open with more force than I originally planned, causing the door to crash open with a loud thud. Everyone's attention was on me. There gazes staring at me as if I had just killed someone. "S-sorry," I take a deep breath, repaying my lungs the debt I owe them. "Sorry, I'm late."

"Nice of you to join us, Mikasa." Levi retorts in his sarcastic tone. Argh, I hate it when he speaks like that. He was resting on the edge of his desk, sipping his tea.

"Hehe, sorry Lev- I mean Mr Ackerman." That blunder got me an eye-roll before telling me to and I quote 'sit down and shut up, brat'. It was only at this point I actually realised it. Most of the students were sat on the left side of the room leaving the right side completely bare. There were only four figures populating the right side of the room. Armin, Connie, Thomas and someone I didn't recognise. His dark green hooded jacket made it hard to make out his face or find any defining features. The mysterious boy was staring out the window not giving a care about anything taking place in the room. Bessatsu shōnen magazine called. They want their protagonist back.

It also seemed like my entrance had zero effect on him. He probably doesn't even know I am in the room. My best guest, a new student.

My usual seat was next to my good friend Sasha. Unfortunately, that seat was stolen from my latecomer grasp. Luckily, the seats either side of Armin were free so it wasn't too bad. He was sat in his normal seat which was two rows in front of the new student.

"Hey, Armin" I whispered, giving him a slight nudge at the same time to grab his attention.

"Morning Mikasa" He replied in quietly. The volume of his voice matched mine. Being late, I didn't want to give Levi more reasons to be mad at me. Armin and I continued our quiet conversation while Levi continued with homeroom.