Chapter Six Part 2: Could be Worse

Eren wakes from his nightmare, his body showered in sweat and the facial markings that surface when he uses his powers are showing. He is breathing heavily. Struggling to find enough air to fill his lungs and breath. His eyes darting around the room, peering into every dark corner. Everything looks foreign to him even though this has been his bedroom for some time now. He frantically searches for his phone. It isn't too far from him, sitting on the table next to his messy bed. He checks the time, the light a little blinding, and sees it's 4:00 am. "Shit. Not getting back to sleep any time soon either." He removes himself from his bed. Peeling his sweaty body from the sheets, puts on a grey tracksuit and sets out to go for a jog.

                    The street lights illuminate the dark path Eren is taking as per their job. The streets are calm as the majority of the city sleeps. There is the odd car zooming past but apart from that, it is relatively peaceful. Still, Eren's mind is not at ease. How could it be? Not after a dream like that. Not when he has perfect recollection of it. The events were strange but that often is the case with dreams. The thing messing with him is the people who were in it. People who he has just met a few hours earlier like Reiner and Berthold and someone he hasn't seen in eight long years. His father. There was also that giant thing. What was it and why did it seem so...familiar?

The deep thinking that he is participating in has caused him to end up just like his thoughts. Lost. Judging by the area he finds himself in, boarded up windows, smashed glass and littered streets contaminated with the strong stench of alcohol, it's probably safe for him to assume he is in the wrong part of town. The streets aren't as quiet around here either. Faint murmurs of drunken rambling can be heard by anyone listening out for it. "I should probably head home," Eren thinks. He turns and starts to retrace his steps as best he can.

While crossing one road, he almost gets hit by a speeding vehicle. A white van. He can't make out the drivers face but notices a blue hat with white stripes. A festive design to it. He is also able to make out the registration plate of the van. LAO8 UFB. A sudden urge to investigate surges through Eren. That van has a seriously bad vibe. 

                    Back at Mikasa's house, the sunlight is shining through her window. Her numerous alarms were not needed in the end. Getting up bright and early at 7:00. The earliest she has woken up in weeks so she is still feeling groggy. She slowly makes her way to the bathroom and goes through her morning routine. Showering and that sort of stuff. Looking in the mirror, her hair catches her attention. Mainly the length of it. "Maybe I should cut it. Nah, I'll wait for mom and dad to come back first."

After pondering what to do with her hair and ultimately deciding to do nothing, she makes her way downstairs. It is just past 7:30. The TV will keep her busy while she waits for Eren. She wonders if he forgot. If he did, she will make sure to punish him. The thought of teasing him for the full day causes her to laugh out loud and her stomach to hurt from it. Suddenly, the doorbell rings.

"Who could that be at this time?" She cautiously makes her way to the door and looks through the eyepiece. From what she can tell, it is a boy with brown hair and emerald eyes dressed in a familiar school uniform. "He's early." After thinking about nothing and everything at the same time, she finally opens the door.

"Good morning, Eren." He smiles at her before returning the greeting. Inviting him inside, Mikasa shows him to her living room and offers him a drink. 

"No thanks. Just had breakfast." He messes with his tie, loosening it and undoing his top button. "You ready to go? Heavy traffic today for some reason so we may need to set off early to stop us being late."

"Sure, let me just grab my stuff." She rushes upstairs to her room to grab ger bag.

"Oh, and don't forget your money!"