Chapter Nine Part Two: A Change in The Tide

With midterms fast approaching most of the students are finally taking class super seriously. I say most because some poor souls struggle to concentrate on anything for longer than five minutes.  The exam pressure getting the better of them and their sleeping patterns paid the ultimate price. Honestly, exams are the worst and the fact your skills as a student are based on them is just plain wrong.

At the front of the class, Principle Erwin Smith is slowly pacing in front of the whiteboard, reading out loud from a classical literature book. His way with words is second to none so even the weariest of students are able to focus on his words. They are scribbling down notes at different paces. Some threatening to set off the smoke alarms and others threatening to make snails jealous.  Naturally, some of them are falling behind or giving up entirely. Instead, opting to wonder if fast food joints pay enough to survive.

A certain young German did not have this fear. The notes he is taking are, well just different from everyone else. His notes are less about how the author shows emotions through coloured curtains and doors and more a string of dead ends and inconclusive evidence of something that a few months ago no one knew about. Now it is stealing every major news headline and is the hot gossip on everyone's lips. "Dammit!" Eren slams his desk forgetting he is in a room full of people.  

"Is something the matter, Eren?" Principle Erwin asks. Everyone's eyes fall on Eren, their glares sharp for ruining their concentration.

"Nothing, Sir. I, uh,  just don't feel so good. Yeah, that's it."

"Hmm, well we can't be having that, can we. You should head to the nurse's office." He grabs a pass from his desk and holds it out in front of him. Eren makes his way towards him. He goes to grab the pass but Mr Smith pulls it back and leans in close. "If it's to do with your 'special condition' seek out Hanji," Erwin whispers to Eren.

Eren snatches the pass from him and leaves the room. "Special condition my ass. Just call me a freak if you want to."

                    The lesson continued at a snail's pace and even the most eager of students saw their notes turn from useful scribbles into mindless doodles. Erwin's voice is still as loud as ever so catching up on some sneaky sleep isn't an option. Fortunately, the lesson is coming to an end. However, Eren still hasn't returned.

The bell rings and the students start to leave. Armin is on his way out but is pulled to the side by Principle Erwin. "I want to have a quick chat with you Armin," He says. He looks towards Connie, Sasha and Mikasa who are behind their friend. "Alone." He gestures them towards the door and they take the hint. Leaving the two.

"Is there something I can help you with, sir?" Armin asks.

"Yes, there is. I want you to keep an eye on Eren for me. Make sure no one finds out I asked you to do this."

"Why me, sir?"

"You and Yeager are close so you are the only person I can trust with this."

"Well, that makes sense. Okay, i'll do it."

"Thank you, Armin. Don't worry, this is for his betterment." Erwin ends off. The two of them leave the room together. Mikasa and the rest of the gang are waiting for Armin outside. They all watch the principle walk away, most likely making his way to his office.

"What was that about?" Connie asks. The three of them stare at Armin with the curious eyes of a child listening to a great story.

"My extra math lessons and how the exam will work. Why? You wanna sit them with me?" Armin jokes. Connie and Sasha are ready to puke at the thought. Who in their right mind would do extra math by choice!? The subjects tests are taxing as it is.