Chapter Seven: Soccer Club

Eren and Mikasa make their way to the car. Eren would always leave some soccer gear in it. You never know when you're gonna get the call-up and need it. There is a range of different coloured boots all collected in a large black bag. A bit of a weird smell coming off it. Not overwhelming sweaty so he must clean them when he gets the chance. Eren, after shuffling through the bag for some time, pulls out a pair of all green Nike boots. They were slightly muddy but he regards them as clean. Especially compared to what they would be like before he cleans them. He also grabs some shin pads from a separate, much smaller bag.

"Why do you have so many?" Mikasa asks referring to the boot bag and the large quantity of boots in it.

"I, uh, like to collect them." He runs his free hand through his hair. "They all have some special memories behind them." He reaches back into the bag and pulls out two more pairs of boots. Red with black stripes and all whites (Well they were originally but weren't gonna stay that way). In doing so, he also managed to knock out a set of all blacks with white stripes. He mentions that the red ones are the boots he wore when scoring his first-ever hattrick and that the white ones were the ones he wore when he won the cup with his weekend team back in Germany. He goes to put the boots back beside the green ones he plans to wear when the ones he accidentally knocked out enter his gaze. A small smile tugs at his lips but his eyes darken. He lifts the shoes up bringing them to the centre of attention. They are much smaller than any of the other ones he has shown, looking roughly child-sized, and there are clear signs of wear and tear. Especially the sole area and how it's peeling away from the rest of the shoe. "These were the first pair of boots I ever owned. My dad got them for me. The last thing he got me before he disappeared." His eyes turn to the ground as he lets out a heavy, low-spirited sigh.

"Sorry."

"It's fine." Eren smiles at her, forcing the sad thoughts to accompany the old boots back into the trunk before closing it. Leaving both behind. "That was a long time ago. Life goes on."

The two of them set off to the sports block side by side. Mikasa is quieter than her normal self leaving Eren to awkwardly try and tackle the blank space. He makes comments about the school day, the weather and his thoughts on the place. But these don't work too well in getting anything out of the raven-haired girl. Only getting one-word replies or grunts. He eventually gives up on the matter. Forcing it won't help anything and sometimes being quiet is the best thing to be. Something he has learnt from experience.

Once they reach the sports block, Eren says goodbye to Mikasa with a playful punch to a shoulder. She lets out a small laugh which is exactly what Eren wanted. He has only known this girl for two days but already regards her as one of his closest friends (not surprising when you remember Eren doesn't have many friends) and seeing her upset has a weird effect on him. Her laughing has eased some of his tensions. A useful thing before playing to impress.

Mikasa is sat in the P.E department's lobby waiting for Eren to get changed. "Why am I such an idiot" she quietly cries out under her breath. She is still beating herself up because she feels guilty for making Eren talk about his missing father. This, despite the fact he told her not to worry about it. Busy overthinking her actions, she fails to notice someone take a seat next to her.

"What's got you all worked up?"

"Ah!" Mikasa screams. Covering her mouth quickly when she realises what she has just done. She turns her attention to the intruder and recognises Reiner, dressed in full kit. "Dammit, Reiner! Don't sneak up on someone like that."

Reiner chuckles to himself before asking his question again. Mikasa starts to explain how she probably upset Eren because of what she said, missing out the details about his father and replacing them with 'sad childhood moments'. She also mentions that Eren said it's fine.