Chapter Eleven: Lucky Escape Part One

"Thanks for the ride Jean," Mikasa says. She waves him goodbye as he drives off before turning to face her door, letting out a sigh in the process. Today was a mess. No denying it and she saw a side of Eren that terrified her. Yet, she felt a strange feeling in her stomach. Was it pity or a sense of encouragement to find out more? She knew what she wanted to do but wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. In the end, she decides to let probability decide. She grabs a coin from her bag. "Tails I leave it for now. Heads I head over and ask." She flips the coin high into the air. Each rotation playing back in slow motion as she thinks up every way this could possibly be a bad idea. Too late to change her mind, she catches the coin and slaps it onto the back of her other hand. She slowly reveals the coin. Unsure of what outcome she really wants. That doesn't matter though. Heads is what the universe has decided for her.

She pockets her coin in her shirts breast pocket and crosses the road. The driveway is empty so maybe Eren's car is in the garage. Yeah, that must be it. Mikasa knocks on the door of the Yeager's three times and waits.

"Just a second," says a voice from the other side and the door swiftly opens shortly after revealing Mrs Yeager. "Hi, Mikasa. Come in, come in," she says eagerly.

"No thank you, Carla. I haven't actually gone home yet. I just wanted to check if Eren was in?"

"Oh, no he hasn't come back yet, hehe." Carla's chuckle carries a nervous hint to it. Like she knows something is up.

"Oh, uhm. When he gets back can you tell him I wanna talk to him? Or something like that."

"Sure thing, dear. You can also wait here for him if you want. Catch him off guard." She winks.

"As much as that would be fun, dads got me sitting 'home exams' to revise for my midterms. It's, uh, an experience."

The two of them laugh before saying goodbye. Mikasa enters her home and her shoulders give. They sink with her posture and she drops her bag by the door. "Hey, guys. I'm home," she mutters. She makes her way into the living room where her parents are gathered.

"Hello dear. Did you have a good day at school?" Mrs Ackerman asks. Mikasa nods and slouches onto the couch. "Hmm, that isn't the most convincing of body language. Did something happen at school?"

"No. Just a bit tired."

"Do you want anything to eat?" Mikasa's mother asks. Mikasa says no before standing up again. "I'm gonna go study in my room. I'm not feeling the test papers today so I'm just gonna revise instead."

"But-" Mr Ackerman goes to speak but his wife covers his mouth.

"That's fine, sweety. If you want anything just text us, okay?" Mrs Ackerman says. Mikasa hugs her mother and makes her way upstairs, grabbing her bag on her way up. Her parents wait for the tell-tale sound of her door closing and when it comes, they both sigh.

"you don't think it's because of what happened at school do you?" Mrs Ackerman asks her husband.

"I always had a bad feeling about that kid," he replies scrunching his newspaper in his tight grip.

                   A few hours have passed and the sun has set. The night sky taking its place. Mikasa is still in her room, dressed in her pj's, sat at her desk. Mountains of textbooks and exercise books scattered across it in what I would call an organised mess. Like you know where everything is but to a foreign perspective it is just a maze of random things in random places. Mikasa's night light providing her with light as she studies late into the night. She stretches, her lower body showing to say hi, and lets out a mighty yawn. Suddenly, there is a knock on her door.