14 » honey, i shrunk myself (end credits)

CHAPTER FOURTEEN ;
honey, i shrunk myself "

a chain reaction set in motion
    now my whole world is caving in
    we must be strong, it's only just
    begun, it's not over yet
    this battle's only begun   "
  NOT OVER YET
             (IT'S ONLY BEGUN)
               the phantoms!

It's like a corny happy ending as everyone sits around the dining table in the little bit worn and torn Paxton-Lang household. As for the events that followed the bald psycho attack, well, Hank has been released from the hospital, Cassie has decided she wants to be a superhero, the Three Wombats are thinking about opening a business, Laurie's broken knee is in a pale blue cast already colorfully decorated by Cassie, the house has started renovating, relationships have been mended, and a chance to move forward seems bright on the horizon.

Now, Scott sits at the dinner table of a home he was kicked out of not even a month before. And naturally, once Scott was invited, Gordo immediately was too and now things couldn't be more perfect.

"Scott, I met with my captain today." Paxton breaks into the conversation with his elbows on the table and his face serious, "He wanted a report on the night that you got out of jail."

Gordo stops slurping his orange juice through his curly straw, Laurie pauses chewing her massive cheeseburger with her mouth wide open, and Scott quickly looks over at his daughters' soon to be step-father.

"Something happened with the cameras. Some circuits got fried." Paxton shrugs nonchalantly, "But I told him that you were processed correctly."

Laurie's jaw practically drops, honestly having expected the FBI, SHIELD, the CIA, or some other acronym to suddenly bust on up in here and cart her dad off to some crazy high-tech prison without warning. But this... this changes things!

"Really?" Scott's eyes slowly widen, pulling the napkin away from his face.

"Well, yeah." Paxton responds casually, acting like it's no big deal, "Can't be sending Laurie and Cassie's dad back to jail on a technical glitch, right?"

"I knew it." Laurie happily smiles and shrugs, proudly whispering to her best bud, "I told you Paxton was a good one."

Gordo just smirks and rolls his eyes at her, knowing she really didn't but being a good guy and letting her have it anyway.

Scott just shakes his head in disbelief, "Thank you, Paxton, I'm blown away!" His eyes grow even more sincere as he thanks him for his daughters' sakes, "Thank you for everything you do for Laurie and Cassie."

"Well, that's my pleasure." Paxton smiles at the two sisters before nodding back at Scott, "But, no. This one, I did for you."

They all smile and slowly look away, quietly sighing to themselves. And as the moment stretches on, Laurie uncomfortably taps her fingernails on the wooden tabletop and Gordo bounces his knee while Scott glances around and Cassie rests her head into Laurie's shoulder. No one really knows what to say now.

So, Scott finally breaks the silence with a very honest, "This is awkward."

"Totally weird." Laurie scrunches her lips and shakes her head.

"Yeah!" Cassie giddily agrees.

"Yeah, I mean, what do we even talk about after all of that?" Scott laughs, not quite used to this superhero life just yet.