• eight •

ah.

that friendly black-haired guy with the banana milk
carton.

"yes, the one who stole my 4-year position, nice to meet you." namjoon joked, receiving yet one more flick on the forehead from the teacher.

"well, at least you made it." mr. park laughed, watching the last of the five fill the remaining space in the front row.

the teacher stood in front once again, breathing in as he looked at the club with a sparkle in his eyes.

they were, complete. finally, the club was made whole.

"welcome everyone. to our now official," and with the one word, he had managed to make everyone smile brightly, "poetry club."

applause and cheers—well, from namjoon particularly—flooded the room.

namjoon had moved his seat to make room for the late president, the member bowing lightly as he giggled and sat.

yesul looked at him.

and he turned to her, eyes widening in surprise, "oh!" he smiled, pointing to her, "you're here!"

then yesul giggled shyly, "you're the president of this club, that's so, amazing." she gave him a friendly grin, "it's so nice to meet you, jungkook."

"thanks," he rubbed his nape, cheeks warm and still slightly out of breath after running half a kilometer in a minute, "oh! i, didn't catch your name, the other day."

"it's yes-"

"jungkook!" mr. park called enthusiastically, "come, could you tell us what we'll be doing in this club?"

jungkook turned his head to yesul, looking at her for a split second before chuckling lightly, "later." he mouthed.

"so, this year, we'll be kinda busy, with new activities, inside and outside the school." to that, the club had erupted in surprised and ecstatic gasps.

"but, for now," mr. park walked beside jungkook, placing his hand on his shoulder, "and now, i know you're all bright, but, it would be refreshing, if you were all able to focus on your academics, and maybe, help our other members who may be struggling with their own subjects."

yesul pressed her lips together, sinking in her seat diffidently. the other members don't have time for her, they're writers, they have pieces to work on—

"i like that!" namjoon smiled, pleasantly surprised at the new idea.

"i-ive been struggling with psych too," mija added, "it would be great to have a group study."

and soon enough, the members had already warmed up with the idea and were exchanging knowledge already. yesul smiled, turning her head to mr. park, who was grinning proudly.

"thank you." she mouthed.

the teacher smiled, mouthing back, "fighting!" with his fist lifted.

"well then, let's all gather around in a big circle, come on." mr. park instructed.

"alright. let's start with the juniors. any struggles with..."

and it continued like that until yesul understood almost every topic she had trouble with.

and as she looked at the bright faces of all the members, she breathed out.

this year will be the best year of my life, yesul thought.

_______________

"alright then, has everything been cleared up for you, my poets?" the teacher asked.

the five nodded their heads enthusiastically, closing their textbooks and journals.

"then i will see you all next week. do well on your quizzes!" mr. park announced brightly.

yesul stood up and bowed to the teacher, bidding her thank you's and goodbyes to him.

she waved her last goodbye and turned around, finding the president, who had a sheepish grin on his face.

"hi," she smiled.

and in a mere second, his eyes brightened along with his smile. he chuckled shyly, scratching the back of his head, "we've been interrupted two times from meeting, it's like fate doesn't want us to-"

"yesul."

"what?"

"it's yesul." she said, "my name."

jungkook looked at her in awe.

"break fate." she smiled, "surprises are always more fun," she looked at him, "right?"

"jungkook, what's the theme this week?" namjoon nudged his shoulder, pen and a clipboard at hand.

but jungkook did not once break his gaze from the girl full of surprises,

and yesul giggled quietly, the boy's thoughts had unknowingly reflected on his twinkling eyes.

"so," namjoon waved his pen at jungkook's face, "what would it be, jungkook?"

"wonder." he grinned, still ceasing to look away.

"the theme is wonder."